A friend of mine has become bulimic and I admit that I never thought this condition could be so serious. I thought that at one point, the patients will start eating again because of the hunger, but that is obviously not the case. Is hospitalization needed in bulimia? What is the worst thing that can happen?

If the weight has been reduced greatly and is still going down, then the medical state of the patient is really in danger. There are many things that can happen including pancreas problem, diabetes, ulcers, dehydration, hypertension, depression, even suicide thoughts. So you see, hospitalization is sometimes not only required, but could be the step that will save the patient’s life.

It's not just about weight!!! With bulimia a lot of people are at a normal weight. If your friend cannot control their binging and purging they should be hospitalized. Postassium imbalances can be life threatening and cause heart attacks.