Couldn't find what you looking for?


Okay, this is really embarassing, but wanted others views on whether or not its worth going to a doctor.

Basically, I've had lumps under my nipples since puberty, I've never really thought much about it as it never caused me to look like I had gynecomastia (colloquially, man boobs). The lumps are hard and can be easily felt when touched (although this may be down to me having a body fat oercentage below 10%, or so I've read). I've suffered very, very transient tenderness there for a long time as well. I can't remember how frequently or how long ago it started as it is that infrequent.

I've only just started worrying about the lumps because of reading a article in the Guardian about it and how any lumps they guys can feel during puberty are meant to go down after puberty has finished (which for me has been and gone a long time ago).

So I guess my question is, does anyone know if it is normal for guys to feel lumps under the nipples that aren't visible in anyway? (This may be a dumb question, but I've really never considered it and it's not something guys talk about)

And, if not, whether it's worth seeing a doctor about? (I just don't want to risk them thinking I'm a hyperchondriac, as I've had to have quite a bit of surgery in the last 5 months and thus have had a lot of dealings with them)

Thanks for everyones help.


You might be feeling lymph nodes, they are supposed to be there. If you press on them enough they will get sore.

Gynecomastia is another story. That is the abnormal development of mammary glands so that the breasts enlarge.

Your doctor is your best resource here and it is a good idea to get it checked. Men can get breast cancer too. Saying that I don't think that you have anything wrong but without an exam...

Hope it helps.


I agree with Medic-Dann.... You state that you have had quite a bit of surgery recently... it's wouldn't be surprising if your body was reacting in unusual ways... especially if you have had infection or illness that might have agravated the lymph nodes.

But to be sure, you need an exam by a doctor. Point it out at your next follow up to your surgery. Your doctor should answer all your questions, especially if you have spotted something unusual or are particularly concerned about a change.