I've been having flu like symptoms on and off for approximately 7 months. Over the last 2 months my symptoms have gotten worse including swollen lymph nodes under right jaw and behind ears, dizziness, lightheaded, loss of balance, fatigue, occasional abdominal pain, rib pain, body aches, chest heaviness, on and off diarrhea and nausea, occasional rash on face, itching, sensitivity to light, shortness of breath. The most recent symptom over the last 2 weeks is a low grade fever that comes and goes. I've had a variety of tests all of which are normal. I'm going to see an infectious disease specialist later in the week. Does any one have similar symptoms or a clue what might be going on?

It definitely sounds to me like you have some sort of infection - enlarged lymph nodes and fever are the most obvious signs, but it's really hard to tell what kind of infection it might be since I assume they checked you for all the usual suspects. But, lymph nodes in a particular part of the body serve as a part of immune system that sort of collects viruses or bacteria that are causing the infection, but sometimes the lymph nodes themselves can get infected and that just might be the case. Please let me know what was the cause, if you find out - I'm pretty anxious about lymph nodes on my neck as well - they haven gone quite back to normal even months after throat infection.

I've been able to rule out cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, and Lyme disease. My doctor really thought that I might have Lupus, but that came back negative. However, the doctor did say I could have symptoms of Lupus and it may not show up in the blood right away. My infection/illness or whatever it is does not respond to any antibiotics. Did you have a lymph node biopsy? Besides the swollen lymph nodes, do you have any other symptoms?

It all started, I think, with constant throat infections - they were happening like every two months and I was basically on the antibiotics for all that time (almost two years, with breaks). And it escalated this summer when I was all of the sudden in horrible pains, ended up having stomach surgery because of the burst ulcer and internal bleeding. So, I really didn't have the chance to think about that for a while, but the nodes are still there, maybe smaller than peas, but there is two or three of them. And after what happened this summer and all the tests I had to do to figure out what caused stomach problems, I'm really scared to go into the investigation of the lymph nodes. Stupid, I know.
What if your infection is viral? Viral infections cause lover fever than bacterial ones, that I know from all the sore throat incidents.

I suppose it's possible that it is viral, but it just keeps getting worse. Since I've been treated with so many antibiotics and not responded, my doctors seem really concerned. I have a history of cancer so they want to be on the safe side.

As far as the lymph nodes go, maybe you should have a neck ultrasound if you haven't had one yet. From that simple test, they can see if they need to do a biopsy.

Viral infections wouldn't respond to antibiotics at all, like mononucleosis - they would even cause some side effects that antibiotics normally wouldn't have. But as you said, better to clear out the worst options, I already had one terrible anxiety week when I was supposed to get stomach biopsy, but yes, I have to do two abdominal ultrasounds anyway - I've become like a regular customer so I guess the quick checkup of the neck wouldn't be a bad idea. But my family doctor is not worried at all about the nodes, she is on the "it will go away" side. Right, like two years "it's going away".
Keep me posted on what happens and I wish you the best

I've been tested for mono twice since January and it always comes back negative. Is it possible to have mono without it showing up in the bloodwork?

I hope to you figure out what's going on soon!

I just read again your first post - rash - that is the reaction you get when you take antibiotics and you have viral infection. Diarrhea and sensitivity to light are also antibiotics side effects - I read a leaflets quite enough times for all the antibiotics I took in these two years.
But if it isn't mono (can't really say either yes or no for the blood test), than they should keep on testing for other viral infections.