Hi. I am 32 years old woman. I suffer from lupus (SLE). I smoke cigarettes. My doctor told me I should quit. Why?

Hi. I have lupus too. I used to smoke a lot. However, when I was diagnosed with lupus, I had to quit. My health care provider told me smoking will increase the risk for developing heart diseases. So, smoking helps lupus. Women with SLE are more likely to develop a heart disease, such as coronary artery disease. So, women suffering from lupus should minimize that risk. How to do that? You have to monitor your blood cholesterol, quit smoking, monitor your blood pressure, etc. I still want to have a cigarette from time to time. But my heart is more important than a smoke or two.

Hello there winecoff,

Since you are probably aware that smoking is bad when you are healthy you can imagine how bad it is when you are diagnosed with lupus. Since this autoimmune disease can have very serious complications if you are not taking medications and if you are trying to avoid recommendations which your doctor gave you.

If you think that you can’t stop with this bad habit believe me that you can, you just need to tell to yourself that your health is far more important than smoking cigarettes.

You can use some nicotine patches in the beginning to get rid of this habit easier but be aware that it would be better to do it without anything and on your own.