Hello to all. I have been smoking for almost two decades. I would like to quit, but I don't know how. I like smoking, but it is bad for my health and I would like to stop. Is there anyone here who managed to quit this bad habit? Hoooow? I would really want to know that. Thanks.

Hello to you too. I was in the same situation. I had been smoking for 25 years ago, but I was diagnosed angina pectoris. My doctor said I had to stop smoke immediately. I didn't know how to do that since I was a passionate smoker. My nearby health center had a program for this. It lasted for several weeks. It mostly included psychotherapy. It passed a year since I quit. I must admit that I feel better now.

Hi gannie752
I was a smoker. Had a massive heart attack on 7/10 - heart stopped three times - had two stents implanted - almost died - I'm female 5'2" 105 lbs - definitely not your stereotype to have a heart attack. Fear of almost losing ones life makes it really easy to quit smoking. Is that the way you want to quit????? I wouldn't recommend it...

I used to be a smoker but my girlfriend wanted me to stop and you all know we do crazy and drastic things for love. It took me four tries, but I finally did it. The third month was always the one that got me because this is the month when you are completely detoxed. Anyway, I did it cold turkey. I tried using the patches, but they really irritated and burned my skin. I also tried the losanges(sp?) but they were not very tasty and they burned my mouth. I haven't had a cigarette in over a year now. I can't say that I don't think about having one every now and then, but when I see my girlfriend, it reminds me why I quit.

I suggest you find something that is going to be your light in the darkness. Something that when you think about it, you remember why you are quitting.

I wish you the best of luck!!

--LinZ

Just settle down with a pack of smokes and a copy of The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr... it's a short, pleasant easy read and you may find you don't even want the rest of that pack by the time you are done. I wasn't even really planning to quit when I read it but then I did anyway. Amazing book!

The most important factor is mind over matter. You have to convince yourself you hate the smell, the taste, etc. And most of use need additional help, due to the nicotine addiction and the behavorial habits. For that reason, I recently chose the electronic cigarete, and it's going well. You can read about it and get it free when you purchase the nicotine cartridges ***edited by moderator*** Good Luck

"We like it" is one of the lies that Nicodemon tells us to keep us hooked. Smokers usually like it because ingesting nicotine relieves the symptoms of withdrawal. I quit using the gum. I had tried several via the gum. What was different this time is that I really wanted to quit and was willing to take it one day at a time. Also, from past quit attempts, I knew that many of the reasons I had for smoking weren't valid. For instance, I'm not more bored as a nonsmoking. The truth of the matter is smokers smoke when happy, when sad, when frustrated, when partying--to celebrate or get through every occasion. One cigarette is too many and a thousand aren't enough. I use to make a list of my reasons. I found out that the list is long. So now I just tell myself that I have many reasons.

The first few days after I quit smoking and/or nicotine, drink lots of ice cold water, Gatorade. Don't drink caffeine. Identify your triggers--alcohol, coffee. You might have to give them up for a while. Negative people? Remind yourself that you are in a fight, and ask yourself if you're going to let that person rob you of your quit. Breath deeply and pray. Meditate each day. Reward yourself each time you reach a landmark--3 days, one week, two weeks...one year, etc. remind yourself that it gets easier. Last, honor each day that you haven't smoked. One day can be a lot when you're used to puffing on a cigarette a thousand times a day.

Seti, I think that your post about the nicodemon was really helpful and it sounds to me like you also had some difficulty with quitting smoking yourself so I'm glad that you posted your insight. I really just came on to talk about how you should try meditating, but it looks like you already covered it.

I posted something about this on another post, but figured I would post it here - I had been smoking a pack and a half for a year or so and stopped successfully (two separate times) with Wellbutrin/Zyban and Chantix. Try one or the other and see how they work. They both have side effects - if you're going to quit with them, you'll do it in a week or two - take the medication for another week, get in a support group, change your habits, and tough it out. That's the best advice I can give. You definitely don't have to go through crazy cravings for weeks on end, but you will have to identify and avoid your cues, etc. Get off those meds as soon as you can, by the way, as they have some side effects that aren't so pleasant - for me, zyban made me irritable, and chantix gave me crazy dreams.