I have been smoking for 18 years, 20 cigarettes a day, I quit smoking unexpectedly cold turkey 7 weeks ago after my father had a heart attack due to smoking, while he was at hospital, a stop smoking lady came to give my father advice we decided to quit smoking together that day. I have tried so many times before but failed, this is the longest I have ever been with out smoking.

I have quit cold turkey before, I was doing really well, I started putting on weight due to resorting to chocolate or anything to keep busy, as I felt bored or used to something in my mouth, I did not realize that I was replacing cig with food, after a while I could not control what I was eating, feeling hungry all the time, then started to put on weight, then went back to smoking.

Another time I used nicotine patches did really well first couple of weeks but had bad dreams, panic attack and dizzy sick, as soon as I took off the patches I had to start all over again, meaning craving started like this was my first day, then went back to smoking.

Another time I quit smoking I was so nervous that I upset every one around me, I could not control my anger that I went back to smoking. 

This time round unexpected, doing this for my dad, my self, my kids, first week, stick to what I normally eat so that I don't put on too much weight, jogging twice a week feeling breathless a bit of pain in my chest, started chest breathing exercise, kick boxing over the weekend, after weighing my self in actual fact I am losing 2.5 lbs a week instead of putting on weight, very hard no sleep, bad dreams sweating, bad cough, soar throat, irritable  constipation and nervous, second week still all the symptom mentioned tingly feelings across my hands very weird, cough getting worse spitting muscus I guess my system is clearing, trying to keep busy when I cant control my anger, walking instead of driving, eating healthy food high in fibre to help constipation, drinking lots of water.

Third week irritation getting better, sports is helping, I think the heart beating faster, blood circulation better through to the brain helps withdraw symptoms, still bad throat, still losing weight still eating same amount of food as before, but feeling really hungry and enjoying taste of food, unfortunately my father cant do it so I am all alone now.

Fourth week saved some money so taking a trip with my children to Alton Towers, I feel like some one has died so used to smoking, I smoked every where sense of loss.

Fifth week throat feels better, no hunger feeling so eating same foods has worked, sleeping through the night but skin complexion still the same even my lips but my gums got red, using face mask may help and drinking orange juice, I guess the longer you smoke the longer it takes to get better, withdraw symptoms up to twice a day and last for 10 mins.

Six week, I noticed when you are on your monthly cycle you get even more nervous so trying to control myself.

Seven weeks, started eating a bit more due to losing 6 lbs already from the exercise cutting that back too, put back on 2 lbs so I am in control what I put on or lose, stomach pain may be a bug?, cold sore, very nervous as worse as the first day, cant stop talking, crying, arguing with close ones, getting really really bad help some advice?????

Oh , i am almost 7 weeks off smoking. but one week off nicotine replacement... this has been hell.

I am so hyper at the moment, but want to argue with people who are actually nice ! I just feel cross with everyone... i cant

help it. My chest feels so tight , and i have sinus probs... none of this when i was a smoker????

I feel that life is not enjoyable any more , and wonder why i am actually goiving up as im almost 60!

My new grandchildren are a good reason to stay stopped , but im not happy.... i wan to feel like my old self ...not ill!

I feel the same way. My exception is that I have hodgkins lymphoma. I feel worse than when I did smoke. I have no energy, breathing is tight, when I smoked I honestly felt great. i know its hard to believe. I hope this passes soon.

I am on week 7 of my quit. Read what you can on Allan Carr. He's on the internet. He was a help to me last time I quit. This time I quit due to high Blood Pressure. No 2nd thoughts, no withdraw symptoms, any of the symptoms I had last time did not appear...weight gain, napping, tightness in my chest none of that because I was in an accepting head. I can no longer smoke. I am older and my health is affecting by what I do. I don't believe in the patch which often gives you more nicotine then you need. Congratulations to you in your attempt. Walk every chance you get and watch your weight. No need to substitute food! Food is no longer a healthy choice...Lol. Good Luck

I quit smoking cold turkey n December 27th 2015. I have been smoking for 30+ years, but in my later years, I was not a heavy smoker, but still a smoker. July of 2014 I have a sever case of pneumonia. It took me over a year to heal and when I did, I was left with asthma. I decided to quit smoking to try and help that issue, but did not realize that it would initially make it harder. I almost ended up in the hospital. Smoking helps to relax the muscles. Going on the 7th week and most of the hardest issues are alleviating themselves. Shortness of breath and having to use my inhalers more through the first month, horrible dry skin, moodiness, a little bit of weight gain and being hungry...I do not have cravings to want to smoke at all. It is not an easy transition and I commend all of you that are putting a foot forward to a healthier you.

Reading a forum about smoking and come across this..the Last smoke I had was also december 27th, 2015!! Ironic?.NOPE..a SIGN FROM THE UNIVERSE I NEEDED TO READ HERE!

Don't give in to the nicotine devil I'm 59 been smoking for 42 yrs gave up 6 weeks ago the hardest thing I've ever had to do but I'm not giving in to the nicotine devil ever again I want to live and be free of cigarettes so hang in it will get better it has to

Are you still non smoker

Hi don't give in you are doing so well. I tried many times to stop. Now 7 weeks on having all the ups and downs. I am 59 and the reason for staying strong is my daughter. Couple of months ago she had a stroke 37 yrs old and now has M S she is my reason and my grand children . Well done

Im 61 now 6 weeks cold turkey.
Not easy but worth it. I still get 5 second cravings or as i call them teases from the devil. Up yours Satan

Hi
I’m Mike 48 and been smoking for 30 years, I haven’t smoked for 7 weeks but still feel like hell.
I had to give up due to early onset of Emphysema.
First 10 days I went cold turkey, bad mistake I thought so tried nicotine patches. At first they helped but now I think they are making me worse.
Since giving up my Labrynthitis has returned, I now suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, I feel dizzy, nauseous, tired and moody everyday. My mood and attitude over the last 7 weeks has been diabolical, I’ve been like a grounded teenager, I know longer want to go out as that is a massive association to smoking and feel my life has no purpose now.
My wife a quitter of 8 years tells me it does get easier and better but I can’t see even a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel .
Good luck to all, hopefully we’re all feel normal again soon

i;m 59 and smoked most my life, I stopped 10yr ago for 4 and a half yr then started because life was c**p without smoking. .I now have COPD and high blood pressure so i'm now on week 7 and went cold turkey on cigarettes and alcohol so a double dose of agony! first the good points, i have a jar with the money i have saved and i call it the agony jar, there's close to 500 quid from not smoking or drinking so that's my inspiration, i feel 100% heathy in such a short time, the down side are insomnia, dry skin, hungry and its hard to kill the habit rather than the addiction. .determined not to smoke or drink again whatever it takes. . .cheers