So I'd say a month ago I came down with an ear infection along with a sore throat (It was so sore on both sides that swallowing was a challenge). Also, on the left side of my neck under the jaw towards the back a lymph node had swollen up. I went to the doctor and they said it was a simple ear infection and my tonsils we're inflamed - annoyed. They prescribed me Amoxicillin which I took and my ear infection seemed to go away along with the sore throat.

Well....About five-seven days later I noticed the lymph node re-appear a long with the sore throat. I go back in and they prescribed me a stronger antibiotic, Cephalexin. The medication lasted for 10 days and sort of worked, not really though. Same thing happened...Disappeared for a few days and came back. Well, it has been about 10 says since I have been off the medication and to no avail, it hasn't worked. I've dramatically cut-back on smoking since this happened, having maybe a cig or two per day or less and trying to eventually all out quit. Two days ago before I went to work it felt like the chills we're coming on so I took a couple of aspirin and felt better. The right side of my throat is sore when I swallow and I can tell that I cannot speak as loud due to this. The lymph node on the left side of my neck, under the jaw is still swollen, but not like it was before. This has been lasting for about a month.

I will be going to the doctor tomorrow morning and see what happens. There is this feeling that I need to take a blood test to get to the bottom of this. I'm sick and tired of having to go to the doctor, for what will now be the third time in a month.

Does anyone have any insight into what I may have? All responses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Alex

Oh yeah... I worked in a ski town for the 2006/2007 season. A long with the earlier part of the 2007/2008 season before returning to Denver...I have stayed over a few nights at a condo full of Peruvians, whom have been my friends for a year now. Maybe this has to do with there from over-seas and their bodies have adapted to something that we (American citizens) are not used to.

No idea, just thought more info would help!

Just wondered what the outcome was fromyour Doc visit. Because I recently developed extremely sore throat on left hand side, with difficulty when general swallowing, feels like shards or glass and/or burning lump. Ear infection caused swelling in left ear and eventually perforated eardrum. I was alos prescribed Amoxicillin and Cephalexin which settled the ear infection but not the painful throat. This is 4th week now and I have started to feel woozy and light headed ( am thinking it may be to do with balance because of recent ear infection !!!). Will be visiting Doc for 3rd time tomorrow and hoping to get further teats done to get to bottom of problem and get health back up to par......

I felt as if I was swallowing glass and pain was on one side of my throat. I thought it was a sore throat/sinus infection and I started to take some left over antibiotics. Well, my jaw started to ache and I was slurring my speech and could not talk. It was called a perritonsillar abscess and is extremely painful. Google it. It used to be called QUINCY and can kill you if left untreated. Please see an ear nose and throat specialist if you have these symptoms. They will drain the abscess and put you on antibiotics. They may suggest removing the tonsils.

mechanicalrevolution wrote:

Thanks!

Alex

Really only anti biotic to help the swelling your to continue taking them as well need to be eating soups and drinking lots of fluids. I had this problem but its gone once a year around a certain time comes around. It could be due to weather changing in your area.

it may be a parasite, or other organisim

I have a sore throat on my left and swollen lymph node also. My left ear hurts and my teeth gums also hurt. I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow 11/6/16. Hopefully I find out what the heck is gonging on with me. I've been like this for a week. Too long, but no transportation to Doctors. My Doctor is never in the office, so I am going to the ER tomorrow. Very worried that it could be cancer. I always had a thyroid problem, never controlled. Worried.