what would cause this i had it for almost 3 weeks now, first week it was hard to swollow food same with the 2nd week now that everytime i drink or eat something weather its hot or cold my jaws and throat will be throbbing in much pain so can anyone tell me what could this mean?

Hi there! Myself and my husband developed this mild cold first that went away and eventually developed into a severe sore throat. It was hard to talk, swallow and we were salivating a lot. Now the soreness went away but we ended up with this weird pain in our lower jaw extending into the tongue. This is more like a muscle pain and it extends on the left side down the throat and into the tongue.

Wow, I have the same exact thing. I have almost a piercing pain on the left side of my jaw, right at about the position of my lymph node. It also extends into the left side of my tongue.

Somebody please tell us what it is... i have the same exact thing. Sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, but only on the left side. It's hard to open my mouth all the way to eat. I thought maybe it was just a sinus infection, but I don't know anymore.

My friend, it could be a dental problem, check with a dentist or follow up with a PCP to determine what the problem is. Most places accept you even without health coverage

-Joe L

I have the EXACT same symptoms-- a cold followed by sore throat on the left side and tongue pain (left side only). I can't find ANYthing anywhere to explain this. Help please?

Same problem here also!?!? My jaw on the left side has been killing me for almost 2 months. At fist I thought it was an ear infection but my ears are fine. Seems our whole family has been sick for months. No doctor knows what's wrong.... I thought maybe even a maximilian sinus infection or abcess but that's not it either. Also my ears are sore inside and itchy but the doc says they are clear????? Any explanations?

Same problem with my bf. :'(

I have had right sided jaw pain for months, and a feeling of mouth ulcers on the same side (some real some imagined it seems). My ear feels full a lot and the persistent pain can make me very sleepy. I've lost weight from it, and stress (even mild) seems to make it much worse. I also have tiny red spots on my lips (right side feels a bit swollen tho doesnt look like it is so) and I'm told a couple of black dots in the roof of my mouth. The inside of my cheek is a bit grainy and slightly more white in a place than other areas. People tell me its TMJ but I see nothing on TMJ and mouth ulcers. Anyone else have the other symptoms i mentioned? What I have is definitely not contagious though.

If it helps, you should try ENT and Orafascial surgeons if it gets worse for you. I did both but Im still no wiser, so hope you have more luck than me.

Did anyone have luck finding out what this is? I am headed to the neurologist Friday. My jaw doesn't hurt, but I have a very painful tongue, (left side only) and it does something like a twist. My speech is slurred and I have a very hard time swallowing. I talk as if I am inebreiated. I called the doctor and because this was the second time it happened, he's referring me to a different doctor. The fist thing he mentioned was Lou Gehrig's Disease! A little scary, but I'll let the neuro doc figure that out.
Anyhow, I would love to hear if anyone else feels this same thing. Also, I have 'ice pick' like pains in my head every now and then. Somedays it's worse than others. Almost paralyzing, they can last up to 30 seconds.
thanks,
Kim

My 10 year old has the exact same symptoms. The unusual syptom is the feeling of the muscle twisting under his tongue. His pediatrician didn't have a clue of what this could be. She sent us to a for x-rays and then to a Nuerologist and they didn't find anything either. His Nuerologist thinks it is a symptom of a migraine. They pretty much told us there was nothing we could do about it since the pain happens without warning and doesn't last more than 30 minutes. I would be interested in hearing what your Neurologist tells you.

hey its just strept throat, it is caused by dehydration and dry air. i always get it.

: I am a dental hygienist and this is no dental problem. I have the exact same thing.

I have the same issues described, two weeks ago I went to a swimming hot springs, A soar jaw followed about 3 days later, after being so soar that it hurt to eat or even open my mouth without medication I went to the doctors, they did not know what was wrong with me, the pain had spread to my ear and the very back most base of my tongue. The doctor decided to perform a Strep Test, 30 minutes later the results come back Positive for Strep Throat! OUCH! I dont even have a single bit of discomfort in my throat or anything as I have experienced with strep in the past. I am not on antibiotics to clear it up (10 day dose) and Ibuprofen for the swelling and vikodin for the massive pain.

I have the exact same thing, only on the left side of my throat and part of my tongue. I had not problem at all till i got my wisdom teeth out the other day, but ever since then the left side of my throat and tongue have been sore. My gums and jaw r fine. I think i might have been poked with the novacaine needle in my throat by accident or something. Anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be?