Three months ago I noticed a painless swollen lymph node right under my jaw line (right side only). I have not had any other symptoms whatsoever of infection or illness. It didn't always stay the same size but never vanished completely. In the last three months I've visited 4 doctors, had two blood tests (all normal) and been given antibiotics three times (no change). They all said it wasn't mono, and they didn't think it was Hodgkins or non-Hodgkins (no night sweats, decreased appetite or fevers). Lately the lymph node has hurt/ached and now the right side of my neck and upper muscles in the back (same side) are aching for no reason. I also had distracting pressure in my right ear (mildly the left but not so much). The node hasn't bothered me (pain or swelling) for the last three days. I'm wondering if they might be wrong despite the tests seeming to be clear. Are there any other tests I should be demanding? X-rays? Would X-rays show HL or NHL? I am a female, 33 years old, 2 young children, 5'7" tall 135-140 pounds, nonsmoker or drinker.

I suppose that the doctors didn’t perform any other tests because they didn’t find any signs and symptoms of the diseases. However, maybe they could have ordered x-rays. X-rays shows abnormalities but is not enough for making diagnosis.

Hodgkin’s lymphoma is usually recognized by its symptoms, which you, except for the swollen node, don’t have.
Sometimes a person lacks energy and suffers from other symptoms like weight loss, fever, and night sweats while others experience itching or even lower back pain. Usually, a diagnose is made during a regular physical exam.

If Hodgkin’s suspected, a doc could order a biopsy to search for Reed-Sternberg cells that are specific for Hodgkin’s. Besides the presence of these cells, there are techniques that use biopsy samples to determine the exact types of the cells.

Beside biopsy, blood check, a doc could order an x-rays to view lymph nodes or see if other organs are involved or even CT and MRI to see if there is a spread of disease but I suppose the further tests are ordered if Hodgkin’s diagnosed during first tests.

In Non-Hodgink’s symptoms are usually not present, and diagnosis is made by chest x-rays conducted for nonspecific complaints. If NHD is suspected after x-rays, other tests are being done just like those for hodgkin’s. The doc also ask questions about your medical history, does a complete physical evaluation to check for infections and other health problems.

I also have a swollen lymph node with weird pressure and throbing in my right ear. Doctor said its nothing and to come back if it gets bigger. Its been two years and today i noticed it was bigger.

Well, I guess it’s high time you visited your doctor just like he told you.

Did you have that pressure before as well? The only thing I can think of is that some sort of an infection occurred near the lymph node but it is impossible to say if it has anything to do with the pressure in your ear. It could be some sort of ear infection but you can’t tell until you are examined.

If nothing was found to be wrong with your ear, then a doc may decide to do a fine needle aspiration and determine what could it be that caused your lymph node to swell.

Let me know what it turned out to be!

Hi! I am the original writer of the first post. I just wanted to upd ate you that after seeing 4 doctors who all said to wait and see if it got bigger, and it getting bigger and then smaller repeatedly, the ENT finally said I should have surgery to take it out - not because he thought it to be cancer, but because he could see that the stress and worry it was causing me would eventually lead to other illnesses. He initially didn't want to for the sake of having a 3" scar on my neck but as I'm not employed as a supermodel who cares! They took it out two weeks ago and it was quite large and sitting mostly behind the muscle (which is why is seemed to change in size) right on the 2nd largest artery in the body (which is why the pulsing of it bothered me). A histopathology report showed no cancer but possibly toxoplasmosis which I just got blood tested for today. Yes the recovery from surgery was not always pleasant and yes there is a scar (which is healing nearly invisibly due to keeping it uncovered) and YES it was the right thing to do in taking it out. I don't go around wondering if I have only months to live. I have my life back. The pressure inside my ear is gone. All that I have left to remindme it ever happened is the itching associated with healing, and even that will pass in a week or so. As a side note, my ENT who did the surgery said teh node wasn't large enough to get a good sample with needle aspiration - that it could easily give false negatives. Said biopsy was the way to go if I insisted on not waiting three months.

Not sure if you are even still checking this site. I have basically the same situation. Can you tell me a bit about the surgery and your comfort level with your surgeon. Are there significant risks involved in removing a lymph node that close to a major artery? I'm 36 with 2 small boys. Had the enlarged node for several years. Had a CT and FNA about 1 1/2 years ago. FNA appeared to be clean. Like you, even after having a number of physicians tell me it's nothing to worry about, that is easier said than done. Thanks in advance, just in case you are still checking the postings.

they hurt 2 touch at first, for about 3 days...and ever since they have been painless...but they haven't gone away...ive also been on antibiotics...tested for strep, and mono...i have noticed since i have gotten sick...my appetite has GREATLY increased...i have gone from eating 2 full plates...to about half of one, and on occasion a full plate(depending on what we have...i got full on 1 scoop of mashed potatoes and veggies, as an ex) during the day i seem and feel tired. i had originally ran a low grade fever for 1 week, it spiked twice tho during that week. i have also been to the doctor's many times...they keep saying they think its viral....but they keep saying they don't kno. the medication hasn't really worked...my nodes r still there and swollen, and my appetite hasn't been normal...the last time i went 2 the doctor, she said that if they were still swollen then she was going to refer me to a ENT specialist also. i have NOT experienced any aching in the ear, but i wrestle and because the chin strap goes across both of my nodes, i have not been able too, so any info on what this is will b helpful, and also what needs 2 b done/how to treat it.

thanks ?

im 16...and i think i may have it...but ive been readin some articles....and idk if this is right/it....but it sounds like it
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What factors increase the risk of acquiring toxo?

The following situations potentially expose a person to the toxoplasma parasite and increase the risk of acquiring toxoplasmosis:

* touching your hands to your mouth after gardening, cleaning a cat's litter box, or anything that came into contact with cat feces

* eating raw or partly cooked meat, especially pork, lamb, or venison

* touching your hands to your mouth after contact with raw or undercooked meat

* organ transplantation or transfusion (this is rare)

I too have been suffering from the neck pressure & jaw pain and as wallon lymph node, witch has grown for over 4 years. I have seen many differant doctors and had 5 CT scans and two ultra sounds. They just say it's a lymph node but it's grown in size sence my last tests. I am going to the ENT again Friday and I'm telling him I want it out. I am getting night sweats but no weight loss.... only gain, but I am a 40 year old female who had thyroid cancer removed 2 years ago. So I'm very scared!!! My blood work ( T3 & T4) comes back normal supresed like they are sapose to be.

I just hate being blown off and having doctors say come back in a month or three months for fallow ups. The base doctors blew me off for 3 years before they'd biopsied my thyroid and it came back cancer. You have to stand up for yourself and tell them what you want. It's our own life!

i have a large swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck. i am going to the doctor soon but a little uneasy about going because a close friend of my recently told me that having a swollen lymph node in that area could mean HIV/AIDS? i just noticed the swelling yesterday and i havent felt too great today. could this possible be HIV/AIDS and how likely would it be?

I've had a swollen lymph node in the right side of my neck for about 4 months now also. And it seems to be starting to make my neck hurt and an extremely light feeling of tension in my right ear every now and then. I don't have any insurance and I do have a history of cancer from retinal blastoma to leomyosarcoma. I don't know what to do.

Hi I'm a 21 year old college student who's always been healthy. I'm very active but may have got the flu last year. I have a very strange case that has confused my PCP so I'm relying on my health services at school for help. Back in Dec. of 2009 I was having really bad abdomen pain. My doctor told me to go straight to the ER where they took my blood and tested every organ imaginable, did an ultra sound on my gall bladder and kidneys, and took a urine sample. Everything came back fine and I was released. Two days later when I went back to my PCP my throat began swelling up and I was having trouble breathing for 2 days. I had a throat culture taken which also came back negative. Two days later I developed severe diarrhea which lasted a week. Again I went to the doctor (3 times now) and was told no useful information, I had a mono test run which came back negative. I then developed dry mouth every night since I couldn't breathe my sinus' were extremely congested. This was back in January of 2010. I then realized the entire right side of my neck was covered with swollen lymph nodes that were alarmingly big. You could visibly see the lumps on my neck. Went back to the doctor who said to come back if they didn't go down. Fed up with my doctor I went to health services in Feb. I was given a z-pack to help my congestion, and the swelling of my lymph nodes went down a little, they also ran a mono test to check if I had it now or have had it in the past. This came back negative. I returned to health services last week because they are still enlarged. They took more blood my white blood cell count has been low both times they've taken it, but my liver, thyroid, blood sugar and whatever else they tested was fine. I have good blood pressure also. Now they're sending me to get my chest x-rayed and I'm finally seeing an ENT doctor Monday. I'm really getting scared as to what's going on. Any ideas?

hey , my lymph node starting swelling and hurting about 5 days ago. it doesnt hurt my throat or anything, but it just gives me a reallyy really really BAD HEADACHE. and its starting to get bigger. and i've started to lose my appetite lately. im worried.. does anyone know whats happening to me?

You know some people have swollen lymph nodes their whole life. Sometimes it just happens and they arent sure why. If you dont have other symptoms I wouldn't really wry about it. I also recommend trying a chiropractor. There have been cases were swollen nodes are due to an improper functioning nervous system (this is generally not the case but it is still worth going through chiropractor care before considering surgery).

i too suffer from the same problem. the glands on the right side has been swelling on and off for the past 2 months. i've seen doctors that told me i was suffering from tonsillitis but it keeps coming back. i am fed antibiotics for weeks to fight off the infection but it keep coming back so i am wondering if it is bacterial infection. anyway any one else suffer from this problem and has solution to it?