This post is an extension of the
One side of my throat hurts a lot thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I'm having the exact same thing, well, almost.

-It's been around since about Monday
- Pain when swallowing.. I'm not sure where the pain is, it's somewhere between my ear and my throat, hard to tell, just hurts.
- Swollen right lymph node
- I had achy skin and BAD shivers, but, that went away 2 days ago
- I had a really bad ear ache and throat ache up until last night, the ear ache seems to be gone, the throat is still kind of there, and it still hurts when I swallow.

I've found it gets better nightly, I just stay really warm, keep cotton in my ear when taking showers. (ouch, and I just accidentally found out if I pull on my ear lope it makes my ear hurt alot :-D ) I've been taking alot of ibuprofin and tylenol, along with some eardrops, they were prescription but I'm not sure what they are called, I'll edit later. It seems to have helped, not killed it off entirely, but.. I think tomorrow is my lucky day. I've also been gargling with Listerine, and also salt/baking soda/water

My totally uneducated guess: Drink alot of liquids, gargle often, stay warm, get rest, keep your ear canal dry, GO SEE THE DOCTOR (which I haven't done yet, if its still here tomorrow I'm going), do anything you can to ease the pain. Also, a little fresh air never hurt anyone, I realize it's winter but it's warm where I am today, so woohoo.

I've had this for about a month. For the past week I've been taking Loratadine 10mg(cheap knock-off of clariton) and it's pretty much knocked it out... Until, I woke up this morning. But, it is about 15 below with the wind chill factor and I had noticed before I started taking the Loratadine that the colder it was the worse it hurt!
I should point out that While it came back this morning it's not painful, just irritating... I'm sure you know what I mean!

I too was having the same problems as most of you.I had horrible post nasal drip a persistent soar throat and earache, both of which were only on my left side . At times I had pain along my jaw and where my ear, jaw and neck met, and my jaw would pop. I would lose my voice and my throat was constantly raw. This went on for months. My insurance copay has increased, so I did not want to go to the doctor unless things got extreme. After searching and searching on the enter net about sinus problems and TMJ, I came across an article that talked about GERD and acid reflux. I thought this was far fetched, but decided to buy some over the counter acid reducer. Much to my surprise it actually helped. I stopped being hoarse and soar throat and earache subsided. My problems have not totally gone away, which is probably due to how long I unknowingly had the problem. I have been gargling with diluted hydrogen peroxide and it has helped sooth and heal my raw throat (whatever you do DO NOT swallow this). I also tilt my head to the side and put a few drops in my soar ear for a little bit and then let it drain out. I have read several places that both can be used to help with common soar throats and earaches , as well as sinus issues. I hope this helps someone find relief. When times get easier I plan on seeing my doctor. Until then I hope this continues to be effective.

I just took a Gaviscon digestive "pill", It instantly eased up my pains. I think that it's because Gavison forms a coating so that acid doesn't get into you're throat, so it might be attacking the mucus build up...

I am having the same problem, and have had it for over a wk.
A wk ago this past Monday I started to get aches and pains along with my throat a little sore. This continued on until Wed night until I went to bed and I felt my ears starting to plug up (mostly my left ear). Well I woke up on Thursday sounding horrible and feeling like c**p b/c my body ached ear hurt and my throat was real sore. I went to the Dr, and she said that it was an ear infection. Well thats fine she gave me a RX for the Z-pack. Friday came along and I felt like death my ear hurt really bad and my throat hurt even worse. I ended up at the ER that night and they said I had a lot of fluid behind my ear and the drainage could have been aggravating my throat. They gave me a RX for a decongestant to clear my head so that it wouldnt bother my throat much more. Well a wk later and my ear still hurts and my throat is still real sore. Its not a typical sore throat its like the muscles in my mouth (basically my tongue ) way in the back of my throat hurts really bad and I can barley swallow and hurts for me to stick my tongue out. I am really aggravated b/c I cant take this anymore!
I know that there isn't really anyone that has posted a solution, but I am desperate.

the back/underneath of my tongue is killing me, swallowing is really painful

Have been ill with an 'ear infection' for three weeks now. Started in my left sinus then spread to my ear and jaw then throat and now tongue. Was prescribed antibiotics which did not work so was then prescribed yet another anti biotic and should have done my homework as this drug is extremely hard hitting - but not to my ear infection - the drug is Cipro! Now I have issues with tendons in my right leg to add to the list. Am getting increasingly concerned. Now have ear drop antibiotics and was told I would feel fine in a day or two - certainly am not! In fact, my throat is 5 times worse and the ear and jaw feels just about the same as it has done all these weeks. My GP seems very laid back about all of this and there is no sign he is going to refer me to a specialist. Actually I really feel like I am in the middle of some trial and error with promises that are not actually coming from a proper medical diagnosis. What on earth is this infection? Am worried it will spread to my lungs or something and then, there is the swine flu making its way around the world. Am in a state of anxiety for sure!

Worried..

Yea, its been about a week for me. Ear doesn't really hurt but swallowing feels like I'm trying to swallow a rock attached to my throat. I.e. A gland. Second night of waking up because of it.

I can't really believe that it is anything like laryngitis or tonsilitis (no tonsils) but more likely a stupid infection. I think ill pick up some antibiotic tomorrow.

EXCEDRIN doesn't really seem to help. Punching a pillow in frustration only temporarily offsets pain.

As far as what I have learned in med school, drinking orange juice might feel ok but it also give infections sugar to thrive on. So gargleing salt water after meals is also good. I wouldn't recomend mouthwash cause that could just irritate it more.

If it hurts on the right laying on your left side and looking a little towards the ceiling *might* make it easier to swallow. I don't know.

Bleagh.

-Krypt

first it started off with a fever on friday, a mild soar throat, then it started going away, and monday i felt better, ear started hurting that night, and throat was irritated but not hurting. today is tuesday woke up with so much pain in my ear i almost cried, it was intense, got prescrivbed ammoxicillin (sp) and it seemed to make my throat hurt even worse?! this pain is to intense to bare, and i have no money to spend at the doctor. i hate it. im about to go to the er, it seriously feels like my throat is closing up. if its extremely bad tomorrow. ill go to the er. let me know guys.

I have the same problem. My throat is hurt now, just one side. Sometime I feel like a lumb in my throat, that's weird. I don't know what exactly it is, but something's definitely wrong with my throat. Maybe I must go to hospital for examination .

My left side of my throat( inside) just swelled up... like a bruise. I cannot swallow- really- it feels like a bunch of needles or a knife stabbing me.. I really want to cry( I'm a girl okay and I'm in college. My family lives 2 hours away.

I've had problems with my throat throughout my childhood- I think it's time to take out the tonsils

I had this too...just take some antibiotics (it could be pills or a liquid) and if you have this for 3-4 days you need to go see a docter,he will prescribe the medication you need.

hope this helps, rockmusiclover

This is kinda happenin to me to
The left side of my throat is swollen, but i've had this for over 10 years. doctors never knew what it was. every few years it inflames, but this time its worse, theres like a spotty rash under my tongue which is setting it off, its so painfull, couldn't eat ma tea last night. Will say to everyone go doctors, i haven't been yet, but its wana those things that should be checked out.

Im scared, im 18 years old. it seems everytime i swallow theres a pain in my left ear and back of my throat near teh tongue. It may or may not be a swollen gland. So many people have this problem and now i have it. I dont want this its unbearable. I treid smoking for teh first time the other day and thats when it started. I think it might be that. but im not 100%.