I have a sore feeling on the right side of my throat for about a week. It sometimes feels as through something is stuck in it and hurts on one side whenever I swallow. its like on the bottom back of the jaw, right above the Adam’s apple, not on the throat exactly, but at the top left of it and It hurts in the morning and at night the most. Any idea what this is?

It sounds like you have an infection in the lymph nodes of your neck and throat area. My friend had infection and he had same sensation in his throat - sore feeling on one side of throat. This infection could be bacterial like strep throat or even mononucleosis which is dangerous. Both bacterial and mononucleosis require a strong antibiotic which can only be given by prescription from your doctor. I think that is the only way to get rid the infection...anyway you must see a doctor to get proper diagnosis and the proper treatment for your problem. Another possibility I can think off is some type of lymphoma cancer!

I'm dealing with the same thing right now. Most likely it's mononucleosis (for me). Right side of my throat kills when I swallow, by far the worst throat pain of my life. A few days ago it was my left side that hurt but the pain has switched. It's always only one side though.

If it is mono, then you do not take antibiotics, so the poster above is incorrect. Mono is a viral disease and can only be cured by resting until your body builds up the antibodies. It is possible to have a bacterial infection by itself or with mono and in that case you most likely want to be on something. See a doctor ASAP.

Infectious mononucleosis is viral--antibiotics do not work.

In fact, if you have another infection while you have mono, they discourage the use of amoxicillin and ampicillin for treatment because they can cause a non-allergic rash. I read somewhere that mono can cause strep throat, but they only treat it with penicillin or another antibiotic (not the two above).[/img]

Unfortunately, this person is misinformed as well. I've had mono and I was given steroids to help raise my white blood cell count in addition to my orders to rest. If it was mono, you'd also have a feeling like you were tired all the time. I would fall asleep in class and the prof's would have to wake me up. Then I developed a really bad fever and nasty white "pockets" in the back of my throat. If you don't have that, it doesn't mean you DON'T have mono, but it's probably not likely.

I would definitely have these symptoms checked out though. It could be something less serious. And as for the person who told you it may be lymphoma... they are seriously misinformed. You'd have other symptoms in addition to the sore throat, like night sweats, lack of energy, and other infections that keep attacking because the lymphoma is destroying your white blood count.

Hope this helps!

I thought I had strep throat and I went back and they said that it was mono. Its HORRIBLE! They said that they cannot give me anything for it and I was taking antibiotics for the strep they thought i had. I went in today and they said I should be getting over the sore throat and inflamed tonsils stage, then the nurse gave me a flu shot without being ordered to give me one and the doc says I can or will get the flu now.

I hate being sick!

in some cases if only one side of your throat hurts when you swallow and your jaw muscles are sore, it is often diagnosed as a TONSIL ABSCESS. it is a pocket full of pus stuck in the back of the tonsil. I had it last year and they can give you antibiotics for it if you catch it early otherwise the doctor has to drain the pus out from the back of your tonsil.

That sounds like what I have but I am currently taking antibiotics for a sinus infection...except antibiotics tend not to work on me...maybe I've built up an immunity over the years??? Is that even possible? I look in the back of my throat and see nothing but it is difficult/painful to swallow and my jaw muscles are sore. Is there anything else it could be...I mean I don't see anything in my throat to drain...but then again I can't even find my tonsils. Anytime I see a new doctor they look in my throat and then ask me after if I even HAVE them anymore (& I do!) Any ideas?

I also have similar issue. Severe pain on right side of throat only, especially painful to swallow and right ear hurts too. I just finished a round of antibiotics for a sinus infection too....wondering if that is coincidence or related?

ive had something similar, i woke up last sunday after i had the window open all night to a feeling that i have something stuck in my throat, it feels like my lymph nodes on my right side of my neck are swollen i havent had any trouble eating but when i do eat it feels like a piece of food gets stuck in my throat but goes away after a while. i went to the doctors and got tested for strep but the test came back negative, my throat's been sore on and off. i dont know what it is i went to the doctors yesterday and the doctor said i have Gerd but i dont have any heartburn but i have burped moe then i usually do i feel compeletly fine other then my throat's been bothering me. otherwise i was able to cough up white sort of clumpy mucus ive tried ant acids prolzec generic claritin nasal spray but nothing helps. i dont know what else to try

A very naive question, if the sore throat was due to bacteria wont it go away by driking an alcoholic drink as alcohol is a good antiseptic?

this is the second day i've had a sore throat, its only on the right side tho. i feel it even when i talk, its very very very sore. not sure if i should go to the doctor or not since its the second day.

I have had my throat ailment since June 7 when I began to feel sick. I have not been right since. I started out with a sore throat and now 6 weeks and three doctors later I have an "itchy" throat that makes me violentlycough if I move it at certain angles. I feel like I just want to go in there and scratch it. I too have been told that it was GERD. (This is not GERD.) I have also been treated for asthma, post nasal drip, etc. All of which I had BEFORE I got sick. My husband and my son contracted the same illness one and two weeks after I got it and they have the same complaints. They also watch me for coming attractions. I am currently hoarse and exhausted. I have very little energy for anything. I think this is all related but I can't get a doctor to give me a straight answer. I was tested for strep and it was negative. Mono too. Also negative. Whatever this is it won't go away without a fight. Is there a doctor out there who can pinpoint what this is and give me some options for treatment.

i have the same problem but my mom wont let me go to a doctor so im going to be asking online but im trying to see a doctor tell me if you get any answer

-thanks :-D

I have had this same thing since 8/17 now. It moves from side to side. It is now on my left side. I spent Friday in the ER and despite all the tests they sent me home as they could find nothing wrong with me. However in my case I have a fever from time to time too. It sucks. I am so tired of being sick and my throat is in excruciating pain!

Guest wrote:

aaron5 wrote: