Hey. Yesterday I went to the pet shop to buy some food for my dog and my cat. I came in and there was this lady buying food for her cat. I was in a hurry cause I had an appointment 20 minutes later and the lady couldn’t decide which food to choose for at least 15 minutes. She was so annoying and I was visibly angry. The girl who works in that pet shop told me ‘’sorry, her cat has a food intolerance so it is hard for her to choose’’. I was still angry but I also started thinking about that food intolerance in cats. How am I supposed to know if my cat has a food intolerance?

Hey there Oshikuru.

You can tell it very easy – by recognizing the symptoms. So you should always observe your cat’s behavior when she eats something.

My cat for example hates to eat lamb and eggs and I notice this after she got sick three times in the row.

The symptoms of food allergies are similar to those of most allergies that you can see in cats. Firs of them is itchy skin. Also, food intolerance can result in diarrhea or vomiting.

Other symptoms may include hair loss, scratching and miliary dermatitis.  

Once you find food that your cat is allergic to, avoid it – very simple.

Hey there.

The most common cause of food allergies and food intolerance in cats are beef, fish and milk products. You should keep that on your mind.

Inflammation, infection and some medications can also damage the digestive system of your cat and it can lead to food intolerance.

Remember, food intolerance can occur at any age.  

Now, if your cat vomits and if your cat has diarrhea, irritated skin and poor coat condition, than your cat probably have a food allergy. The most common symptoms are digestive upset and you can easily notice it.

Sure, you can always let your vet to do some tests.

Hello. Food intolerance is not uncommon in cats. Just because you are giving your cat some food for years that doesn’t mean that she won’t develop reaction to it. Knowing the symptoms of food intolerance to food is important. This is how you are going to find out what cause your cat’s immune system to overact. Others told you some of the symptoms, but I think that symptoms that are associated with the common cold also can indicate to food intolerance. When you think that your cat is eating something that is bad for her, look around her ears. If this area is itchy, than this is a sign of food intolerance.

Hello. That is very easy to notice. Just try to pay attention to your cat’s stool after eating different foods. I’m assuming that one of my cats is allergic to lactose because every time I give her milk or I soak kibble in it, she has diarrhea and she seems upset few hours after the meal.

I wouldn’t say she is allergic to all dairy products, but the ones that contain lactose she can’t tolerate.

Skin problems are also a sign that something might be causing an allergic reactions. So take a look under your cat’s coat to see if everything is ok.

Hello everyone. You say that this is very easy to notice but I haven’t noticed this situation when it happened to my cat :/ Maybe I am not that good pet owner, who knows but my cat was constantly eating duck's meat without showing any signs of food intolerance. Sometimes her stomach was bloated but basically that was everything. I know that cats can hide it very well and she did exactly that. I found out this when I took her to the vet and he saw that something is wrong with her. But I am telling you, sometimes it is not that easy to notice.

Hey everyone,

Guest, you did find out that your cat is intolerant to duck's meat in the end, that's what counts.

You all know what happens to you when you eat something bad? Or what happens to your cat if she eats something bad? The symptoms are the same if your cat is allergic to some piece of food. 

Diarrhea is the easiest symptom to notice. The next one would be vomiting. You can see that she doesn't want to eat something that you give to her. If you see her scratching very often, it can also mean that she is allergic to the food that you gave her.

Hey Oshikuru,

I honestly don't think that this is a hard thing to notice. By the way, food intolerance in cats is usually caused by a sudden change in diet. Pay extra attention to your cat's behavior if you ever decide to change her diet suddenly.

It is all like others already told you, you will probably see her vomiting and she will probably have a loose stool. Some cats might try to hide this, that's true, but they can't really hide diarrhea, unless you let them go out so they can poop somewhere where you can't check their poop.

Anyway, I doubt that you won't be able to tell if your cat has a food intolerance.

When you say food intolerance, you consider food allergies too?  I think you can notice it easily.

I know immediately if my cat is not ok with some food I bought. First she starts scratching all the time and the skin gets irritated.

Then, if the intolerance to a certain food is big, small lumps start to appear on her skin. They seem to be filled with some fluid and they come as a result to some allergen that a cat is specially sensitive to.

Sometimes cats lose their hair too. It never happened to my cat though, but it happens to others.