Hello everyone,

I have a very important question to ask. I heard somewhere that people with Cardiomegaly shouldn't work on heavy jobs, but my dad is saying otherwise.

You see, my dad is working at the construction sites, he is a very strong man and he actually likes his job, he likes that his strength is used in a good way. Anyway, he has been recently diagnosed with Cardiomegaly and although I told him that he needs to stop working at the construction site now, he denied it and said that these two things aren't connected.

Can anyone tell me if a person diagnosed with Cardiomegaly can continue to work on a heavy job?

Hi Health n Joy,

First of all, cardiomegaly means enlarged heart. It isn't a disease, but rather a symptom of another condition. Since it is a symptom of another condition, your dad has to do additional tests to see which condition is causing his heart to become enlarged.

People may develop an enlarged heart temporarily because of a stress on their body, such as pregnancy, or because of a medical condition, such as the weakening of the heart muscle, coronary artery disease, heart valve problems or abnormal heart rhythms.

It is pretty easy to treat it once you know the cause of it.

There are some things that can cause a person to have an enlarged heart Health n joy, such as high blood pressure, a family history of enlarged hearts, blocked arteries in one's heart, congenital heart disease, valvular heart disease, or a heart attack. It is a pretty dangerous condition if it is not treated, since it can cause death.

He definitely shouldn't continue to work on a building site, or any other hard job. His doctor should have told him already that he should have only modest exercise. It is dangerous for him to lift heavy objects because of his enlarged heart.

Hello everyone,

I have some experience with having an enlarged heart.

You see, my doctor figured out somehow that I have an enlarged heart, it was a chest X ray, if I remember well. Anyway, he told me that I need to do some additional tests to see what is causing my enlarged heart. Nothing showed up on the tests. Still, up to this day, doctors have no clue what caused my heart to become enlarged, and it still enlarged. I am not allowed to exercise a lot (only modest exercises), nor to work any hard jobs. No smoking, no alcohol and caffeine, and I have to sleep eight or more hours every day.

Hello everyone,

Okay, so I need to tell my dad as soon as possible that he must quit his job. That it going to be hard. He is a stubborn man but there are always ways for children to persuade their parents to do something, I'll find a way somehow. 

Thank you for the time you took to help me, I appreciate it. If somebody knows more about this condition, be sure to tell me. Especially if there is a way in which I can help him out rather than just persuading him to stop working at the construction site, or anywhere else.

Hey there.

Well, the biggest mistake is that people usually believe that they can continue to do a lot of different jobs, even if they are heavy. But they shouldn't especially in this case. My cousin Jack had this problem and he is aeromechanic. When he was diagnosed with cardiomegaly his doctor told him that he should quit this job even if this job is not that hard and heavy. But it is better for him because some complications can happen. So he decided to listen to him although he worked more than 17 years on his job . But his health is more important. 

Hey there.

I am truly sorry because I need to tell you this, but this is forbidden. Enlarged heart can cause a lot of problems and the causes of it can be different.

So, he should not continue to work there. I am almost sure that most of your concerns will be addressed by a combination of further testing and consultation with his doctor who will be able to answer these questions. But I know three persons who were working on some hard positions and they needed to quit their jobs after they got diagnosed with enlarged heart. Good luck. 

Hey guys. Here I am with new information for you. Well, I didn't know that one guy that I liked in my junior high was diagnosed with cardiomegaly as well.  I just saw him today at the hospital and he told me that he came to routine control. I asked him what is going on and he told me this. Now, he was a referee in football games and he believed that he needs to quit his job. And he was ready to quit since he loves to live, of course. But doctors told him that with proper therapy and controls he will be fine. It is not all that black, right? 

Can a person work diagnosed with cardiomegaly

Depends on the type of work one does as mentioned nothing to strenuous or stress full