I married the most amazing man. I was so in love. I had hit the jackpot. I had an amazing life. We both came from upper class families. I lived in a beautiful home in the nicest part of town, I drove a Range Rover, I played tennis 3-4 times a week at our country club, I didn’t have to work, I shopped at Neiman’s and Sak’s. I had a dream life. Except…my husband became addicted to Adderall. He had been diagnosed with ADD and his doctors gave him Ritalin and then eventually Adderall. At first, as with most, it did help. However, as with most medications, your body will develop a tolerance; so therefore, you need more to get the same effect. My husband’s problem was two-fold. His body developed a tolerance and he really liked the effects of Adderall. He began taking more and more. He also added to the mix the exact opposite of the Adderall, primarily Xanax and Vicodin but he included almost anything from benzodiazepines class: Valium, Klonopin, Restoril and even odd mixes like Soma’s. So he was self inducing a yo-yo effect, hence Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. He had become so angry towards me and his 8 year old son, he wouldn’t see us for weeks and we lived in the same house. When we did interact, he treated his son and me so badly, I just wished he would go back out for another “business meeting”. I tried to reason with him, but to no avail, there is no reasoning with a drug addict. I tried to leave several times, he would promise he would clean up, he promised our life would be as it once had. I was living with a drug addict who would say anything. I know he loved me, I know he loved his son, but more than anything he loved his pills. In his mind since they were a “prescription” drug they weren’t as bad “street” drugs. His claim to fame was he didn’t drink alcohol. His reality became blurred and his lying hit new levels, to the point where his lies were so outrageous and that it wasn’t worth fighting about, I just ignored most of it. I had a home and an amazing step-son, who I thought of as my very own, to take care of. He had been desensitized by the drugs towards everything including sex that he wandered outside of our marriage. However typical that is for a lot of marriages when drugs are a factor, the main problem was nothing really excited him anymore, so he had to find more and more exciting things to stimulate him, including different type of sex. He went to prostitutes, he went to sex orgies, he went to bondage type places and then he crossed over and he went to men. He said it was erotic. I told him if this really were his true feelings regarding his sexuality, that I can understand and I personally didn’t have a problem with the notion of his being bi-sexual or even homosexual but that I was not going to be in a marriage to a man that wasn’t only sleeping with me. Of course, I was verbally and physically beaten down and was almost thrown off the balcony of our home because of this honesty I had with him. I became a hostage in my marriage.

I took him to rehab twice, the last time I had a mental health warrant issued on him due to violence and the police came and handcuffed him and took him to the facility. When he was taken to rehab the second time, he was taking 280mg (14x20mg) of Adderall, 3000mg (4x750mg) of Vicodin and 20 mg (10x2mg) of Xanax a day easily. My dream was shattered. Once inside rehab, he was given Depakote and Seraquel. He told me he loved me, he told me would get better. It lasted 6 weeks before the Adderall, Xanax, Vicodin, Klonopin and Soma cocktail re-entered his life. Slowly but surely it took over. He was back to the extremely high doses he was at when I had him put in rehab the second time. He had sources on the streets that could obtain the prescription drugs, I couldn’t stop it. My step-son mother had taken custody back of her son. He hadn’t lived with her since he was 2. I was heartbroken, but I knew he would be safe with her than in our home. I went to do the banking for our home and his business and started looking at the finances and I was distraught. My husband had lost his company to the drugs, he swindled his grandmother out of $1,000,000.00 to sustain our lifestyle, and he couldn’t stop. I tried to leave on several occasions and the police were at our home at least a dozen times. They told me to leave him…I did, but I would come back because he was now an expert liar and he was hiding his drug use very well. Of course all things hit a wall and I grew the backbone I had lost in our marriage. One night, I left with a duffle bag of clothes, under police protection. Since then, with my court issued protective order in place against him, he had my car reported stolen on our anniversary and then he had the bank repossess it. He will not give me the remaining 95% of my clothing, baby pictures, books, even my hairbrush. Our home will go to auction because it is being foreclosed on and he is fighting me in the family courts to a new level of bizarre world. I wonder about how anyone attorney could believe him, but then the attorney is now dealing with a true drug addict how can spin a story to new levels. The saddest part for me regarding him is, as happy as I am that he has a new girlfriend (he can harass and harangue her instead of me), two weeks after I left him, his new girlfriend has a cocaine problem. He has since introduced cocaine into his drug mix. His reported cocaine usage is apparently astronomical and he still takes all the pills. I thought during our marriage that we had hit rock bottom several times, but apparently it was not far enough down for him. I was unwilling to go any further in his downward spiral. I have no idea how badly he has damaged his heart and liver form the heavy levels of prescription drugs, but I know he will never be the same. If anyone can learn anything from this post, please know that this can affect anyone from any socioeconomic background. I had a dream marriage, he was handsome, loving, caring, fantastic lover, a good provider and it is has been shattered. Adderall killed the most amazing man I had ever known and loved and left in his place a corrupt, vicious and revengeful man who is absolutely incapable of telling the truth and seeing the beauty this world has to offer.

This can happen to anyone, don't let this happen to you.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but don't blame it all on Adderall. People abuse all kinds of substances--legal, illegal and prescription. Alcohol ruins way more lives than Adderall, and you don't even need a prescription.

I have to wonder how your husband was able to get all those drugs so easily. Did his doctor write him all those prescriptions? No responsible physician will prescribe more than 60 mg/d of Adderall, and you have to go through a lot of red tape to get your insurance to pay for it. And those pain killers, who wrote those prescriptions? No one has ever given me more than a two-day supply of that stuff, and that was after surgery. (I didn't even take those; the pain wasn't that bad.) So if you're trying to say these drugs are too easy to get, I have to disagree. If your husband was buying them on the street, he could have been buying anything.

I have to agree with the person who responded to your post on the ADD forum **** It's not about the medication. It's about the choices you make.

**edited by moderator**web addresses not allowed**

While we don't agree on some of the details, I think we can both agree that Adderall wasn't the root problem here. There were a lot of factors that combined to produce a bad outcome, from unethical prescribing practices to the subject's personality. You could just as easily single out affluence as the root of the problem if you had a political agenda, and that's what bothered me about the post: singling out Adderall--not to mention posting the same message on two different forums and then not participating in any subsequent discussion--has agenda written all over it.

Now to the details.

I am surprised, and somewhat encouraged, to hear you say that dosages far in excess of 60 mg/d are safe. (This is 50% more than the PDR value, by the way.) I had been led to believe that I had topped out at 60, and that if anything further could be done for me, it would not involve increasing the dosage, so I've been trying to optimize the bioavailability of the dosage I'm taking and taking Concerta on weekends to limit my tolerance for Adderall. So far I'm not really sold on this approach. It seemed to be working at first, but I still feel like I need more Adderall during the week, and the Concerta isn't really doing it for me on the weekends. I feel about the same on Concerta as I do with nothing: confused, easily frustrated and angry. When I explained what I was doing to my wife, her comment was, "oh, no wonder." Even in the course of a weekend she could see that I was like the old me.

I'm planning on sticking with it for another month or so, and trying some of the suggestions for diet and exercise regimens and lifestyle changes I've turned up in my research, but it's good to know that there's still a possibility of increasing the dosage if that doesn't pan out.

One thing I am curious about, though. You said that your doctor prescribes Adderall based on body weight. Since he is something of an expert on prescribing for this condition, I want to make sure that this is correct. My understanding is that the current thinking is to prescribe on the basis of efficacy--i.e. how much does it take to effectively treat the symptoms of ADD/ADHD--and use the body mass calculation only to set a maximum safe dosage limit, above which the drug may not be prescribed, and if a subject requires more than the maximum safe dosage to achieve an effective treatment, Adderall is determined to be ineffective as a therapy for that individual. Can you provide any clarification on this point?

I'd also appreciate it if you could give me some references to your doctor's publications or any other publications you're aware of on this subject.

Thanks for your perspective. It's really helpful to hear from someone who's had more experience with this.

To the woman who started this thread..thank you.

I am in the middle of a divorce precipitated by drug abuse and mental illness. The adderal is just one of the drugs in his mix, although it is the main one. He is also smoking pot which in his case is bad, and using excessive caffine(coke zero and red bull by the case). He has been taking adderal for 7-9 years, he has become increasingly abusive over the last 2 years culminating in protective orders. I watched and our last contact was as my husband had me pinned down and was choking me, he stopped himself 3 times. The 3rd time he got off of me and walked away. I was just one impulsive decision from death. I don't blame this on the adderal but in combination with his addictive personality and mental illness. It has combined to create a very dangerous person. The court system here prevents me from getting him any kind of psychological help if he refuses to volunteer for it. We have been married for 32 years and it is ending on a horrific divorce full of meanness and paranoia. All he wants to do is to hurt me. I do believe he would be classified as having amphetamine psychosis. He does not have a job, he has a thought disorder, is paranoid and delusional. I wish there were more checks and balances while on stimulant medication, maybe this could have been caught on time.

You shouldn't. It has nothing to do with Adderall. You could be describing a lot of guys who have never taken Adderall. I've taken it for years, and I've never been abusive. You say he's been using it for "7-9 years" but has "become increasingly abusive over the last 2 years", so for 5-7 years, one would assume, Adderall didn't cause this behavior, but now it does? Aren't there any other drugs he's taking that might correlate more directly with the behavior?

Really? Are we competent to make that diagnosis? Is he exhibiting Ekbom's syndrome? Is he tweaking? Is he hallucinating? You don't mention any of these signs. There might be some evidence here of psychosis, but to claim that it's drug-induced--let alone caused by a specific drug among the many that the subject is using or abusing, and one which he apparently took safely for 7-5 years--is quite the leap. I might be going out on a limb here, but I'll take a wild guess that he hasn't had a sleep study to rule out sleep deprivation.

Sleep deprivation would be a pretty good candidate. Not only is it a concern whenever stimulants are prescribed (read the label), but I don't see how anyone abusing caffeine and marijuana, with or without amphetamines, could have anything even approximating a normal sleep pattern. I don't know which came first, but most people will lose sleep simply because of being unemployed! The symptoms of sleep deprivation can be almost identical to those of ADD, which can cause an increasing spiral of self-medication which only worsens the sleep deprivation, and sleep deprivation is known to cause or contribute to psychosis.

If you read the label on the Adderall bottle, you should see a warning about insomnia, one about taking other stimulants like caffeine, and one about using it with alcohol. If pot were legal there would be a warning about that too. The minute you see someone disregarding the instructions that come with their prescription drugs, you need to talk to them about it, and if they continue, you pick up the phone and call their prescriber. And whenever there is a concern over self-medication that includes an illegal drug, you have the leverage of using law enforcement to get them into rehab.

to Upton O'Goode.

Sounds to me like you have zero knowldege of just about everything you have written. its as easy to get a prescription as it is to walk into a dr. and it isnt always someones choice to do drugs, sometimes people fall into a trap. so the next time you think you have some"accurate form of knowledge", do everyone on here a favor, keep it to yourself. thanks.

maybe you did something wrong

I have a question
Why is taking more than 60 milligrams unsafe?

Drugs are neutral substances, the drug itself isn't good or bad. However, I think using the medical model to treat problems that have a social etiology (Mental Illness) is an incredibly corrupt practice. Your lives weren't ruined by drugs, your lives were ruined by things that happened at the hands of people. Think of any drug in terms of the common legal drug, alcohol. Some people use it occasionally, others use it socially, some use it rarely but enjoy the effects, and some abuse it and it becomes a major problem. You can apply this to nearly all drugs. And by this I do in fact mean that, for example, you can use heroine daily in a responsible manner (if it can be said that a person who drinks a glass of wine each night is a responsible drinker). In this country, "DRUGS ARE BAD." Realistically drugs are neither good or bad, and nearly all can be used responsibly. I am not trying to be cold, I do think that addicts act in ways that are incredibly destructive. At the same time I believe we all need to recognize that we have been socialized in cultures that are attempting to BS us about everything.

My boyfriend is abusing Adderall and Klonopin :( So to those who say those drugs arent the real reason he acted that way? BS. MY boyfriend becomes an ENTIRELY different man when he gets his prescription.  He used to be heavy into drugs long before i met him, sobered up, and its seeming more and more like he's just replaced it with the adderall. adderall is an ADDICTIVE and EVIL drug.

That is a very sad story. I have a adderall prescription but I no longer use the med, for reasons like you stated. I do take natural supplements, including one called ADDieUP  that has natural stimulants like Yerba Mate and Nootropics to protect the brain. I also take fish oils. When I need focus/energy the Addieup supplement is gentle but works for me. 

there is no such thing as 750 mg adderall. the highest dose is 40. even if he took 10 pills at 40mg a pill. he would of been dead. so please stop lying,attention w****

actually all drugs can be addictive your husband might have had a busy day used it multiple times and thought that he should use multiple dosages a day thinking he would get more done aderall can be as addictive as Meth weed or a cigarette it just depend a on the reasons somebody takes it

Dude. You are way off. Amphetamines are not your friend. Especially just because someone invented a "disorder" to push drugs and make money. This lady's problems are a very real result of amphetamine. While your miniscule
problems are things like keeping your pH neutral enough to get more out of it. LOL. Man, keep your BS to yourself. believe me, you will not be convincing this person that the drug did not do what it did to ruin her life, not with a couple opinions and some other BS. She lived it. She just wanted to warn some people, she feels she is doing good, that should not be shitted on. And if it is fake, who gives a sh*t. Get a life man.

WOW you are clueless to this drug and how doctors recklessly hand this sh*t out like candy. I went through the same sh*t this poor woman went through and I have to say if you haven{t lived then your very blessed but this drug is demonized my wife and I left her because of it, as well as this poor woman my wife to destroyed me financially and our kids, as for me I just had to stay strong and start all over, yet still single I am happier without this wack job not being able to take me down again. I fucken left the country so she couldnt do me any more harm, yes she is still abusing Adderall as well AS ANTI DEPRESANTS, SO YOU BETTER BELIEVE EVERY WORD THIS WOMAN HAS WROTE Cuz I lived that nightmare.