About 5 weeks ago, my ex boyfriend and I had sex. It was supposed to be the week of my period, but I didn't have one that month for some reason. (I have not had sex in months before so no possibility of being pregnant then). Anyways, about 2 weeks ago I was having severe cramping and spotting. I went in to my gyno and they did an ultrasound checking for cysts. There was some free fluid that showed up. My gyno suggested I get off my pills to start my period. I only bled for about a day and a half... Now for the last 3 days I have been throwing up and extremely nauseous. Could I be pregnant? There was no embryo seen on my ultrasound, but it would have only been 3 weeks... Would it show up that early?

Hi there, So, I did some research on this, as I was curious myself as to the answer. Here is what I found for you. Before 5 weeks gestation; the developing pregnancy is too small to detect on ultrasound. The endometrium (the lining of the uterus where the pregnancy will grow) should appear thick and secretory. One of the ovaries will have an ovulation cyst, called a hemorrhagic corpus luteum (what a mouthful huh?) This ovarian cyst is a normal part of getting pregnant, as the egg forming the baby was released from this cyst. The cyst will gradually resolve (get smaller) as the pregnancy continues. 

Ok, so at 5 to 6 weeks gestation a small gestation or (pregnancy sac) can be seen within the uterus using transabdominal ultrasound (from the outside of the stomach) but a transvaginal (from the inside) is usually required to see the baby at this stage of pregnancy. The baby only measures a few millimeters long at this time. I hope this was informative and helpful. Good luck to you!