I am 17 years old .I worried about my mother. She had gynecological exam two days ago and came home crying. I asked her what is wrong, but she just said that she had some kind of mass in ovary, tumor, and that she has to remove it soon. I am confused and afraid. Please tell me what it means.

I had probably the same problem as your mom does. I had ovarian tumor. Tumor doesn’t mean that is benign or malignant, just that mass in the ovary is not functional (cyst). Masses in ovary or cyst are not normal findings and they have to be removed surgically. There are cases when ovary can be saved and when they have to be removed with tumor, like in mine case. They removed me laparoscopicly and I am feeling quite good for now.

Don't worry dear because so many women experienced same and have treated it in different ways and could live happily ever after. The mass might dissolve itself by taking birth control pills, or can be drained by syringe by doctors, or might be surgically removed without affecting the ovary or in extreme cases, the affected ovary might be taken out along with the cyst. The important thing you also need to know is most ovarian cysts are benign, and not malignant but you need to find out your mother's specific condition and what the correct procedure is for her from doctors. so no point in worrying this much!!! Much younger girls are left with one or no ovary at all due to ovarian cyst and their worst concern seems whether they can be able to get pregnant. Your mother at least has you, a brilliant child who is doing whatever it takes to be their for Mom!!!!

May Allah be with you. Good Luck.

I am another young girl who has been diagnosed with a mass in one ovary. the rest part of that overy seems to be healthy. I don't have a child till now and i want to concieve. If they operate me to remove the tumor from the affected ovary, will i be able to concieve? And if yes, waht r the chances of pregnancy going fine and delivering a healthy baby. plz advise.