Hi, folks. My sister in law was administrated to the hospital. She had an elbow fracture. As far as I know, doctors are afraid of certain complications. I have heard something about ischemic contraction. I would like to know what its major signs are. Your help will be more than appreciated here.

Hi, there. It all depends which form of Volkmann’s ischemic contraction is present. The main cause of this contracture is swelling. It presses blood vessels and nerves in that arm. I believe that experienced doctors can recognize which kind of swelling can lead to contracture. It is very important to monitor such a patient. Only then, danger of contracture will be minimized. I hope everything will be all right with your sister in law. Good luck with all! Bye!

Hello. I agree with the previous post. We should blame swelling. Flexion of several fingers characterizes mild contracture. Limited loss of sensation also may be present, but not necessarily. In moderate form, all hand is flexed and there is a loss of sensation. When we talk about severe form, then you should know that whole forearm is affected. You should consult your sister in law’s doctor for more details. I hope this helps. Bye!