Hi. I'm 50 years old and I have just recently got back from my vacation. Everything was just fine for a couple of days but after that period I started to experience some strange symptoms.
I have got some red areas all around my skin and swollen lymph nodes in my groin and axillary region.
You can't even imagine how frightened I was when I have noticed this.
I contacted my dermatologist imidiately and he did complete blood count, culture of blood, sputum, urine and skin lesions biopsy.
Final diagnosis was some condition called Melioidosis. Doctor prescribed me some antibiotic treatment but he didn’t say anything about the disease. So I would like to find out as much as I can!

I was diagnosed with melioidosis over than ten years ago and I can say that I have recovered from it completely, so you shouldn’t worry that much.
Melioidosis, also called Whitmore’s disease, is an infectious disease caused by the bacterium Burkholderia pseudomallei.
The bacteria causing melioidosis are found in contaminated water and soil, so you could easily get infected on your vacation if you were somewhere in the forest or similar.
Some usual symptoms are fever and general muscle aches, and may progress rapidly to infect the bloodstream.
There is no vaccine for melioidosis so treatment is based on appropriate antibiotics such as Amoxicillin and Clavulanate.