I just turned 40 and was told, two years ago, that I was perimenopausal. My issue is this: I have had some symptoms of phase A; the fatigue, insomnia, hot flashes, but now my period is about a week late. I have been extremely stressed for the past month due to my job loss and worrying how I'm going to pay my bills, etc. I was also told my chances of getting pregnant are about 1 in 10,000, but now I'm scared. I don't have any pregnancy symptoms, but I have always been regular, since I was 12. My body feels like it wants to start menstruating, but nothing happens. I am so broke that I can't even afford to buy a test (literally) and I'm afraid to ask my family for money for a test. I don't have any health insurance, so I can't get a test from a doctor. Could this be from the stress, the onset of menopause, or could I be pregnant?

I have tried looking online for an answer, but there isn't one that is even remotely related to my problem. Can someone please help me?

Hi Shelly! I will help you FOR FREE!!! ;-) When was the last time you had unprotected sex? Uptill now your period was TOTALLY the same, not even a slight difference?!!

Just know as soon as we turn 40 and we have already started with menopause - you can still get pregnant of course - but cestation of your period is just another wonderful phase of menopause! It can go away for a couple of months, come back with a vengence of NON STOP! Then STOP again! Till finally around 55 it will go away for ever!

Stress is a HUGE problem when it comes to our reproductive systems! It can cause symptoms of pregnancy, it can stop periods, etc. So lets get to the bottom of this first, if you answer the 1st 2 questions I can help you further! Also any Planned Parenthood Clinic will do a pregnancy test for free!!!

It was about a month ago that I had unprotected sex, but like I said, my doctor told me my chances of getting pregnant again were about 1 in 10,000. I have always been between 27 and 29 days, except for when I was actually pregnant. I have had two miscarriages; one in 1994 and one in 2005. It's the one in 2005 that cause me so many problems because I didn't get to the doctor in time to get that shot they give you and I never got at D & C.

I didn't know Planned Parenthood did that for free. I will definitely give them a call.

Thank you :)

Hi Shelly! when the doctor says "1 - in 10,000" is that from tubal scaring or severe infection after your last loss? All I know is this if you are ovulating and still have your ovaries you can STILL get pregnant! Even women whom have had a hysterectomy can still get pregnant, if their ovaries are still in place! All you need is a partial ovary to get pregnat - of course the chances are EXTREMELY reduced!

Let me know how you make out OK? Good luck and health!

It was an infection because I never had the D & C, but I also didn't get the shot after the miscarriage, so that reduced my chances even more. When I was married, my husband and I tried for two years and nothing. Like I said, I don't have any signs of pregnancy, it's just weird. It feels like my body wants to start menstruating, but it just won't.

I will go to Planned Parenthood like you suggested. Thank you again for your help.