I have had extremely heavy menstrual flow for 6 weeks.  It is to the point that I do not feel like I can leave the house.  I don't sleep at night becuawse I'm running to the bathroom every 30 minutes.  There are clots 1.5 - 2" in diameter every 20-30 minutes.  This is quickly becoming life-altering.  I am 45 years old and at first thought this might be early stages of menopause, but am starting to get a little scared the more restricted I become in "life".

Hi honey! Unfortunately this IS one of the symptoms of Menopause or Peri-Menopause! Most women who have gone through it will definitely tell you horror stories of flooding on the sidewalk, in the mall, at work etc. You NEVER know when it is coming! So since you are in a bad way - and you can tell your hormones are wonky (as balanced hormones make the uterine lining into liquid, when they are out you are passing just regular uterine lining which can be SO painful) So make an appointment with you OB/GYN ASAP! They might just do a DNC - where they scrape out the lining of the uterus (which can help correct the overage) an ablation - where they basically freeze or electrical shock the entire lining of your uterus so it NEVER grows back! OR they might do what they did with me - at 35 - and have a partial hysterectomy - leaving your ovaries! Unfortunately you are NOT alone honey! It SUCKS! And that is why I say God IS a man - MENstruation, MENopause, MENtal illness  ;-) So make an appointment and also IF you feel dizzy - from the constant shedding of blood rich lining, you might need a transfusion or an increase in some vitamins etc. Keep an eye on your inner eyelids, and your tongue - so you don't turn anemic! Hope this all helps and welcome to the club honey! Good luck and health!