need info from someone else on methadone....

i'm 41 and i've been on 80mg methadone daily since march of '07 for severe nerve pain due to radiocolopathy and thalamic pain syndrome (i had a stroke on the left side of my thalamas). prior to the methadone, i was on tons of Fentanyl lollipops and patches for pain - however, Fentanyl does not work for nerve pain...at all. it just drugs you up.

due to the stroke i lost all local short term memory capabilities, cannot recall proper word usage, and have a lot of severe permanent nerve pain on my right uppper thorasic back, and numbness through my right arm and legs. i also had 7 small strokes and 5 small strokes in my eyes when it occured. that's the stats on the "Thalamic Pain Syndrome" - and Methadone has been the only drug (and i have been on 30+ other types), that has actually been successful in working on helping with the nerve pain.

but - regarding the methadone, i have had incredible success with the methadone keeping the nerve pain to a tolerable level. however, the side effects are terrible, and i can tell i am horrifically addicted. i have been told by several physicians that i will be on it on a permanent basis. however, even after this long of being on 80mg of methadone, i still have terrible night sweats. other side effects are racing pulse upon wakening in the mornings, and also a very 'weird' nauseas feeling - but only upon awakening in the mornings.

does anyone else have this? it's an odd kind of nauseas feeling. not like you need to vomit, but more like your stomach feels like it is in your throat and you feel more of a toxic like sick. does that sound familiar to anyone? if it does PLEASE RESPOND. i'm to the point of going to a Toxicologist to make sure i haven't reached a toxic level.

PLEASE RESPOND ASAP - i would really appreciate it. if you need more details please ask. i would be glad to help anyone with any questions they have about the methadone or fentanyl, and various other opioid experiences i've been going through since May of 2002, when i had the stroke on my thalamus.

hi i am on 95 mg of methadone split in 2 so taken twice a day 95 total per day. I get nausea and headache every 1-2 weeks. I always take the prescribed amout, but that even gets me sick. I have to not take my next dose and wait like 24 hours until my symptoms start to lessen. anyone get this also. whaty should we do, besides stop taking methadone?

It sounds to me like you may potentially be sensitive to or even allergic to the methadone. Are you interested in getting off methatdone? I think that might be a good idea if you try to taper off. Have yout aken a lower dose before?

I am 61 and have fibromyalgia and degenerative disk disease. I was taking MS contin 120 mg three times a day but it wasn't taking the pain away and causing muscle twitching and other stuff. My doctor recently changed me to methadone 20 mg three times a day. The pain relief is good but the nausea is constant and no more muscle twitching. It is actually great to be able to take a nap and not have muscle jerks about 3 times every minute which made me give up napping altogether. The nausea, though, is constant and i feel like I need to be eating carbohydrates to stop the nausea, however, that doesn't really help either, just causes weight gain which I don't need. I take rolaids and tums but the after taste is yucky. I also understand that those antacids can also decrease the pain relief from opiates. What else can be done for the constant nausea? I remember this when I was pregnant years ago. I am going to try to decrease the dosage. the other problem is sleeplessness. I am up nearly all night and can't seem to fall asleep. I also take Soma and hydrocodone but have lowered the dosage of hydrocodone by half. the pain is better, the nausea is worse. Any help out there?

My buess is that you may actually be allergic to opiates, which is why you have nausea like that. Hvae ou talked to your doctor about taking a nonopoid?

I just want to let you know I am on 41mg of methadone for 5-6 years and I have the Exactly the side effects you are speaking of. I feel nauseus in the morning every day that usually goes away after I eat. I have indigestion, occaisional heart burn and other stomach related problems only since being on the methadone. Its possible if I raised my dose the nausea would go away somewhat but I was as high as 115 at one point and dont want to go back up. The biggest difference between being on a low dose or a high one i've noticed is if you are at a high enough dose, you can go literally days without re-dosing because the methadone just holds on forever. When you are down between 5 and 40 it lasts more like 24-28 hours for the full effects before some withdrawal symptoms start. I have also had a -ton- of water retention since I started this. This goes away when you get off it though.

Im 19 I just switched to methadone as a way to get off heroin. I've been on it two and a half months an d I'm at 90mg. TRUST ME 75 to 90 is a NORMAL DOSE for anyone taking pain medication like morphine fentynal and dilauded. (or heroin) ITS DEFINITLY NOT A TOXIC LEVEL if you were previously on strong opiates. I know I may be young but i know alot about my drugs of choice. 300mg is a high potentially toxic dose.. SOmetimes methadone just gives your tummy the grumbles as I call them. Meaning nausea vomiting occasonally lack of an appetite. it also can give you hot flashes and because it is a narcotic you get that almost high nodding out at the computer happy feeling if your on a high enough dose (like me). ITS TOTALLY NORMAL TO HAVE STOMACH PROBLEMS FROM METHADONE. If you don't believe me ask your doctor. :-D

this is specifically for the 19 year old Drug Expert: you need to do more research and get your facts straight. first off 90MG is NOT A TYPICAL DOSE except for heroine addicts. the majority of people responding to my question are people that are in PAIN because of NON-HEROIN circumstances. so, our circumstances are totally different than yours. also, contrary to your comment that the nausea is 'tummy grumbles' - shows your lack of knowledge on the medication. methadone can be toxic at any level depending on what other medications one is having to take because of PAIN. not drug addiction. one more FACT - METHADONE DOES NOT GIVE YOU A HIGH. nor, does it give you a "happy feeling'. i have been on as much as 120MG, to as low as 50MG. and i have NEVER GOTTOEN A HIGH, nor is that what i am looking for. i am looking for relief of PAIN. nerve pain. not as a bandaid because i wanted to shoot up heroin. so, you need to do some research of your quote 'drugs of choice', before you respond to Forums that knowledgable people look to for help.

I know it's been a while since you posted your questions but I wanted to throw in my experiences with methadone as well. One quick comment about the 19 year old ex heroine user. I applaude you for getting off of heroine. From what I understand it's extremely painful, hense the 90 mg doses. Also I think they give out methadone as a liquid in a lot of clinics and I think that effects you a little differently than the pills. One other quick little fact that my first pain doctor told me. There are only 2 drugs in the world that block all 4 pain receptors and that's heroine and methadone. She told me this back in 2001 or 2002, but I think it's still true. I've tried the other major pain meds and nothing works on my pain like methadone. From what I understand, it stays in your body up to 36 hours but it only works for about 20 or 24 hours. That's why it's a delicate dance in taking it. Sometimes you might need to take a little more and sometimes you need to back off of it a little. Everyone is different and that's one of the toughest things about taking it. That and of course those wonderful side effects.
I'm a 40 year old woman and I have been taking methadone for severe pain from a meningacele (I think that's spelled right) growing in my lower back. It larger that a huge watermelon and my pain has gotten worse and worse as the years go by. I've been taking methadone since 2001 or 2002, 15-20 mg twice a day for going on 10 years. Every once in a while, like the last 6 months I had gotten down to 10 mg twice a day and it accually felt like my body had a adjusted to it. But then there are times like now where I feel lousy for long periods of time. The day after Thanksgiving last month my pain block wore off, like a light switch. My pain level went up and stayed between an 8 and a 10 until Dec 7, 2010 when I was able to get in for another pain block. Well, when I was in tremendous pain for those 2 weeks or so, I had raised my methadone up to 20 mg 2 to 3 times a day. Nothing really helped much. Not the extra methadone, not the dilaudid I began taking again (that's my break thru pain pill), not the rub I use sometimes that has an anti-inflamitory, morphine and some other things and ice that usually helps some did the opposite, made the pain worse almost immediately. Anyway, a few days after my pain block I began to have extra bad nerve pain in my toe (nerve pain in my feet and toes is common for me but this was aweful and wouldn't go away. The pain lasted for hours and was a 10 so I went to the er and they shot me up with dilaudid and sent me home. I slept all day and missed 2 methadone doses. Anyway, needless to say, the next day I was withdrawing pretty severely, shaking, sweating, no energy and every movement was an extreme effort. It took me a few days but I got myself back on track. Well, it's been 8 days since then and I still feel pretty bad and I am still having bad night sweats and no energy. Terrible night sweats where I wake up freezing, drenched in sweat. I get these symptoms when ever my doses go down but not usually this bad, for this long. I just wanted to throw this info out there and see if anyone else on a low dose like me gets symptoms like this. BTW, I have had a lot more nausia now a days too, but usually nausia is a symptom I can fight by keeping crackers or toast and milk in my stomach but I have lost 30 lbs in the past couple of week cause I can't eat much. It's the Holidays and everything seems gross. (sigh) Guess I don't have to watch my waistline this year. Medical Marijuana usually helps me, but it's not doing anything this time.
Anyway, thanks for your time and patience and Happy Holidays.

( to the one who said fetinal patches [i know i spelled that wrong] didn't work for pain) for one thing all of narcotic pain medicines are not made to block out pain its made to get you messed up so you forget about the pain, the non-narcotic pain meds such as tylenol and IBprofen are made to block pain. percocets and so forth are made to make you forget about it. that's why your stupid patches "didn't work" why do you think they put cancer patients on oxycontin? b/c their pain is never going to get better, but they'd like them to be comforatable before they die.

-jennifer

hi. I'm 32yrs old and have just recently started taking liquid methadone at a clinic. I was taking alot of loratab for pain in my hand and knee. I weighed out the long term damage that tabs were causing my body and started taking methadone. At first i was buyin the pills from someone i know. I was taking 15mg a day. I decided to in to the clinic so it could be monitored. I'm on same mg of liquid but side affects are worse. I feel nausous all the time and vomit at least 3x's a week. I also have a hard time keeping my eyes from crossing he i'm sitting still. But i'll deal with that as long as my hand and knee quit hurting long enough for me to in to work.

In order to lower my use of narcotics, and avoid this nausea that is so common, I have diversified my medication greatly. I take methadone only 10mg 3x daily and oxymorphone 10mg as needed and that's it for the narcotics. I also take Lyrica 100mg 3x, Tizanidine and clonazepam (invaluable for the dystonia or muscle spasms), Verapamil; all for the treatment of Refelex sympathetic dystrophy and occipital neuralgia. The addition of these medications have reduced my in-transient nausea, it plagues me every day but I have found antihistamines and anti-emetics to be VERY helpful. I recommend.

I am going through same symptoms and would love to. Find out if this is normal. I stayed in bed all day yesterday after the your hour peak. Severe pain and felt like my brain was going to burst through my skull. If anyone knows what is going on with us please let us know. Do we need to increase our dose or decrease?

listen pal methadone is an opiate opiates are the strongest pain killers known to man antacids do no not assect it u will always hear ppl on clinics sayin dis stuff thinkin they kno it all

u are so righ i h8 idiots who think they kno it all he really friggen anoyed me with the 300 mils stuff a young man i kno od'd on 40 mils without any other medication been taken idiots like dis need to get der facts right