I always suffered from occasional headaches and always thought its sinus headaches for while headache I have red eyes and feel some pressure beyond them and have a pain in the forehead. I’m taking ibuprofen and it helps me but my sister now claims I actually have migraine headaches. I’d like to hear than what’s the difference between migraine headaches and sinus headaches.

It is very common that people think they have sinus headaches for the pain is usually concentrated around the eyes and it seems like whole face is under the pressure while it is actually migraine. I had exact the same problem for years I thought I suffer from sinus headaches and was taking ibuprofen. It helped me but when I was finally diagnosed with migraine headaches I started using some specific migraine medications and it turned out to be a proper diagnose. I always had nasal congestion and forehead and eye pressure and always thought I have sinus headaches but those are also thy migraine headaches symptoms. The best thing to do is to go to a headache specialist in order to get a proper diagnose in which manner you could significantly decrease the pain as much as headaches frequency. Also headaches specialist would determine what type of a migraine headache you have. I personally suffer from classic migraine but there’s also a common migraine and both of them have specific warning signs so you may know when they’re coming. I usually have nausea and vomiting I’m very sensitive to light and noise and strong colors also. And if you feel depressed and tired before the headache starts it is probably the common headache. You may try to help yourself in other ways except using medications. I’ve changed my diet and am pretty sure it helped in reducing my headaches. I avoid hot dogs, coffee, strong teas and alcohol and I quit from artificial sweeties for all of these junkie food may be a headache trigger.

When I'm first diagnosed Doctor 1 told me that I have migraine. Symptoms are dizziness,nausea,vomitings,sensitivity to light and heat etc. In year 1997 I had a operation for Nose due to septal deviation. Now another doctor 2 asked me to have a CT scan for PNS and investigations revealed that I have Sinusitis and Right side of my nose is partially blocked. Doctor 2 is telling that previous operation of nose is not done properly and is causing problem. If i undergo a small surgery then all my dizziness,vomitings and migraine will be completely rectified.

Now my question is that Is there any link with Sinusitis and Migraine. Do I need to undergo the surgery for Sinusitis?

Please help me out ...

Thanks,
Kalyan Raj

To Guest Kalyan Raj,

One can have both kinds of headaches: migraine and sinus. Further, a (then) teenage son and I, both suffering then and still now from sinus problems and and migraines, were told by my son's doctor as he was preparing for my son's septoplasty that sinus problems can trigger migraines in an unknown percentage of patients. That has helped solve the puzzle for us, but not completely removed it. One thing that has helped me over time differentiate between sinus and migraine is that while both heat (steam inhalation, moist heat packs, hot showers, other) and application of cold can help relieve more intense sinus pain, and both heat and cold also can help migraine, it is primarily cold that helps migraine pain (ice pack on back of neck, on top of head, or slow ingestion of thick cold food like a milkshake to cool the blood in main vein leading to brain--not cold liquid, which goes straight to stomach or ice cream which chills mainly the mouth). There are a point or two in the migraine course where heat can help a migraine, but it is primarily cold. Use of heat and cold might help you sort out which you have. Note: I am in my mid-50's, and have had both types of headaches since about age 10. I've even been hospitalized for the migraines on one occasion, so severe have they been: like a stroke in some ways. If there is a treatment for migraine, I've probably tried it, and got really tired of advice from kind and caring friends (!) and learning of new things to try. However, I recently began taking the herbal (and expensive) combination "Nexoprin". I'm not a salesman for this product, but it is the first thing I have tried--along with my current ongoing several medications prescribed by the doctor for migraine prophylaxis--that has apparently made a dent in my problem. :-D Good luck to all with the migraine/sinus problem....

Guest Jo C.

i have a pain in my neck, the back of my head and pressure on my eyes, is this a migrain?