I would like an advice my 10 months old grandson had flu recently and is teething. After two weeks we noticed that his left eye is distorted or doesnt coordinate with the right eye. Do we need to worry. Or see the doctor?

Hi Nomusa,

I'm assuming you mean that the eyes don't follow an object together.

Did this just happen or did you just notice it? 

Yes, see an opthamologist.  There is a condition called "strabismus" in which the eyes don't follow together.  It can be treated via surgery, probably not until he's around 2-3 though.

Again, an OPTHAMOLOGIST or OPTHALMIC SURGEON  is who you want to see, a true eye doctor. 

Yes his eyes were normal before he had the flu. And suddenly as he got better we notice this change. One eye look other way. It's just worrying us.

See his pediatrician, NOW.

Thank you very much

Please let me know what they find. I'm thinking a possible further infection.
Good luck.

But do you suggest we see an eye specialist or paediatrian. When he had flu we took him to GP. So which one is best to take him to.

There might be something else, besides an eye problem, causing the eyes not to follow - that is my concern now.

If it was my child I'd be in the doctor's office NOW and then I'd see the opthamologist next.

Do NOT delay.

To add Nomusa,
I'm thinking a possible stroke or TIA. The flu should not cause this to happen.

Oh my goodness what is TIA? What can possibly cause it? Will take him to the GP first thing this morning.

A transient ischemic attack, a "mini-stroke."

The concern is that you did NOT notice this prior to the flu. This is NOT something that you'd expect to occur as a result of an illness. Is something affecting the muscles that control the eyes OR is there a problem with the brain controlling the eye coordination.

Make sure the doctor understands that this happened AFTER the flu and not before.

Yes, take him to the GP.

Well we took the baby to the doctor, the GP and he checked his eyes. He told us he can't see anything wrong. Maybe if we had taken the baby immediately when this happened maybe he would have found out something. But we have made an appointment with the opthmologist because even though the eye has improved but we would to know for sure what may have caused that. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for the update. Please let me know how he's progressing.