Hi everyone. It was only recently when I first heard of parvovirus. I got a dog few months ago so I didn’t get the chance to inform myself about all the dangers that I need to be familiar with. This virus is very bad and survival rate in dogs is very low. My dog is not vaccinated and I plan to do that any day now. What I’ve been meaning to ask you is associated with the effects of this virus on a dog’s body. Do you happen to know does this virus affect both gastrointestinal tract and cardiovascular systems of dogs?

This virus is terrible, I hate seeing so many street dogs in my town die because of it.When I have the money, I collect all the dogs from my neighborhood and I take them one by one to the vet to get them vaccinated. I live in a small town so people tend to think that I’m crazy when they see me doing that.

And it does affect both the gastrointestinal tract and cardiovascular system of dogs. Dogs usually become infected by ingesting the virus. And then the virus proceeds to the intestine and then the intestinal wall gets inflamed because of it. 

Awful disease! This disease or infection is new, because it appeared in 1978. It is highly infectious virus that attacks the gastrointestinal tract and cardiovascular systems of dogs. There are some symptoms that you need to know – bloody diarrhea, lethargy, no appetite, vomiting. Those are first signs that something is not OK with your dog. Also, young puppies are often affected and main problem is because it is really difficult to treat it. I vaccinate my dog always when I need and he is healthy. My friend had problem with this, but his dog was treated. It was a pure luck! 

My friend Bob had Staffordshire terrier. He got it for his birthday, but he was never into a dogs. I remember that some of his neighbor was offering him a lot of money to buy this dog, but he didn’t want to sell him, because it is a gift. The main problem was because he didn’t know how to take care of his pet, and parvovirus attacked him. I think that he attacked just gastrointestinal tract. He had all those symptoms, and it was luck because his gf is a vet, and she literally helped this dog to stay alive. It attacks boot and it can be really serious. 

Hi everyone. I want to join your discussion about parvovirus because it is necessary to inform as many people as possible. This disease is very dangerous and the only way to make the dogs safe is to vaccinate them.

My friend’s sister is working in a dog shelter and they try to vaccinate all the dogs there. I think there should be more organizations like this.

As someone mentioned before, the answer to the question from the topic theme is YES. Parvovirus attacks both gastrointestinal tract and cardiovascular system. I think that is the main reason why it is so dangerous. I have also heard that parvovirus affects the immune system of dogs in a bad way.  

Oh, @ Dalmatian_lover that is so sweet. I tend to do those sort of things at least once in a week or two. I take a dog from the street and take him home, feed him and then we take a bath. My heart breaks every time I need to get some dog back on the street.

And my family is not so supportive so that’s kind of a problem.I’d love to have enough money to vaccinate every dog so they can’t get this horrible virus. It seems unfair that only dogs who have owners are protected.Can someone explain the exact way this virus affects gastrointestinal tract and cardiovascular system? 

First of all, OP, get your dog vaccinated! You will do him a favor and maybe even save his life.

Other thing, Dalmatian_lover, you have very noble intention and I fully support your suggestion. I am going to organize my neighborhood to help stray dogs, as well.

The last and not the least, when parvovirus attacks the GI tract, he replicates itself in lymphoid tissue in the throat from which he spreads to the bloodstream. From there he attacks lymph nodes and bone marrow and can cause SIRS (systemic inflammatory response syndrome) which leads to acute respiratory problems or hypercoagulability of the blood.

The form which attacks cardiovascular system nests into heart muscle and causes pulmonary edema.

Once you vaccinate your dog, you will be without big worries and your dog will be safer – so, once you get a dog, you need to take care of him properly. It is dangerous, don’t fool yourself than this is not and that you dog won’t be attacked. It is really bad, I mean, I know a lot of cases when people lost their pet because they were thinking that this will not impact their pet. Vaccinate your dog whenever you need to do that, observe his behavior and you will notice if something is wrong with him. My dog is healthy because I was learning about this for a years.