We are currently living in Japan, where they do not use the MMR vaccine for Measles, Mumps and Rubella, but rather the components of this vaccine separately. I wanted to enquire here about the side effects of the mumps vaccine, which my baby is due to receive soon? If you know anything about this, please let me know.

Hallo Miriam! I did a small research and I found that the fever is the most common side effect, occurring in 5%-15% of vaccine recipients. About 5% of persons develop a mild rash. When they occur, fever and rash appear 7-12 days after vaccination. About 25% of adult women receiving MMR vaccine develop temporary joint pain, although this symptom is related to the rubella component of the combined vaccine. Joint pain only occurs in women who are not immune to rubella at the time of vaccination. MMR vaccine may cause thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) at the rate of about 1 case per 30,000-40,000 vaccinated people. Cases are almost always temporary and benign. All children and some adults should have documentation of 2 doses of a mumps-containing vaccine. In the United States, mumps vaccine is commonly given as part of the combination vaccines MMR or, when age appropriate, MMRV. Adults born in 1957 or later without evidence of immunity (i.e., physician-diagnosed disease, laboratory evidence of immunity, or confirmation of disease) should receive at least 1 dose of vaccine; they should receive a second dose if they are at high risk of exposure to mumps (e.g., healthcare personnel, international travelers, college students). Unvaccinated healthcare personnel born before 1957, who do not have evidence of immunity, should also receive two doses of MMR. The first dose of MMR or MMRV should be given on or after the first birthday; the recommended range is from age 12-15 months. A dose given before 12 months of age may not be counted, so the child's medical appointment should be scheduled with this in mind. The second dose of MMR is usually given when the child is 4-6 years old, or before he or she enters kindergarten or first grade. However, the second dose of MMR can be given anytime as long as it is at least four weeks after the first dose. MMRV can only be given through age 12 years and should be separated from a previous dose of varicella-containing vaccine by 12 weeks. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) have all recommended this vaccine. Mumps is a very safe vaccine. Most side effects are mild and related to the measles or rubella components of the MMR vaccine (fever, rash, temporary joint symptoms). I hope this will help you.