Hello all! MY mother is over 50 and for the last couple of weeks she has been on and on about how women who are over 50 have more chance in developing knee joint problems. Apparently one of her friends told her this and now she won’t stop talking about it, so I was wondering if anybody could tell me if there is a way to prevent knee joint problems, so that I can pass them on to my mother, so that we can all go back to our normal lives. Thx!!!!

Hey there! I know too well how older women can be persistent. Here are some suggestions for avoiding the knee joint problems:
She could reduce some these problems by wearing special shoe inserts (orthotics), then maintain appropriate weight to reduce stress on the knee, have regular walks or ride a stationary bicycle if she is capable of it, do some stretches if possible but I am sure she will forget all about this once she got the instruction.

Bearing weight and exercising the joint have seemed to help me, although I'm a female in my early 30's....I've had knee problems from the teens. The problem DOES NOT go away, and medicines are only a temporary quick fix. This is why lifestyle changes must be a part of any arthritis rehabilitation program. Yoga practice helps me a lot b/c it stretches and strengthens my muscles, and improves circulation to the joint. It also teaches me when to stop. Sometimes, I just put my legs up the wall, or on a chair and have to rest. Sometimes, I need heat, and sometimes I need ice. It all depends on the moment. She might also try glucosamine-sulfate + MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) which are naturally occuring supplements some people swear by. Arthritis need not end life, you just have to adjust to it.