I'm 26 years old and I'm 6 months pregnant with my first child. Lately I have noticed some whitish mucous discharge running from my vagina. I don’t have any history of any sexually transmitted diseases, I didn’t have sexual intercourse during my pregnancy either and I have reported for regular checkups and everything was going fine so far. I'm scared that there could be something wrong with my baby. Could this discharge be as sign of some disease that could represent a danger for my baby?

Any changes in female reproductive system during pregnancy should be considered possibly dangerous and should be taken seriously. Mucous vaginal discharge is however considered to be normal during pregnancy if it’s transparent and doesn’t have color or any strange odor. Mucus from vagina is a reaction to changes in the levels of hormones that happens during pregnancy. Its main purpose is to prepare the vagina for possible delivery, and to protect vaginal walls from damage, and to clean them for any possible foreign matter that got into the vagina. Mucus is produced by the cervix of the uterus and one of the most important roles of that mucus is also to prevent foreign matter from getting to the baby. So if that mucus isn’t colored and if it doesn’t have any strange smell then it is totally normal. If you had any trauma prior to the appearance of the mucus you should consult your gynecologist.

Ladies, you may have a cervical ectropion. It is very common lesion, particularly in younger women and those taking birth control pills (BCPs). Ectropion usually causes no symptoms and need not be treated. If it is symptomatic, producing a more or less constant mucous discharge. You should visit your gynecologist and do not forget about regular Pap smears.

GT

thats normal when it comes to pregnancy