My mother told me that vaginal mucus and other substances coming from vagina is a common problem. I had to talk to her about this problem, because I have noticed some excessive vaginal mucus last few days. I wonder if there is some other reason for that, beside sexually transmitted diseases. I would like to hear a little bit more about this excessive vaginal mucus discharge. What are possible causes is something that especially interesting me.

Excessive vaginal mucus is often due to infection. Frequently it is associated with pain, burning, itching, and painful urination. Off course it’s not truth that all infections are sexually transmitted. If you have noticed excess vaginal mucus, don’t immediately assume that you have an STD. There are a number of possible causes such as inflammation of the vagina. It is called vaginitis and is the most common reason for discharges and is usually caused by some infection. Pelvic inflammatory disease is caused by STDs that infect the cervix, uterus, ovaries, or fallopian tubes, also might cause excess mucus discharge. Genital herpes is also one of cause’s excess mucus if it affects the cervix. Infections of uterus, hole in vagina, inflammation of vagina due to lack of estrogen, also cause excess vaginal mucus. Some of the less common causes of vaginal discharge include pregnancy, genital warts, cancer and foreign objects in vagina such as tampon that could not be removed. You should visit doctor and report what kind of discharge you have, when it occurs and expect pelvic exam.

I too have exessive vaginal mucus. I have been treated for vaginitis but the mucus is still there. I also have excessive mucus in my throat. Are they somehow connected?

I'm only 13 and i've been having discharge for, since the start of this year.
Then again i woke up today and found a lump of it after i woke up. sticky white liquid.
no burning sensation at all or any redness.
no odour and all
just the white sticky substance

tell me about it. PLEASE :$

dear guest, yes ur only 13 and u have vaginal discharge. this might sound weird to you but that is normal. you are going through puberty right now and this is the beginning. you will get discharge like that from acouple of months to years before you get your first period. trust me, theres normal discharge which is what you have, and theres discharge that is caused from somthing else. if you want to know more about it, go to girlspace.com or beinggirl.com . they are both really well explained girl websites that talk about growing up and your changing body. i hope i helped you. :-D

Dear 13 year old

Do not worry! it is perfectly normal to have all different types of discharge(the wet stuff!) in your knickers from time to time. SOmetimes it's white and sticky, sometimes it's clear and stretchy and other times it might come out like a big bogey-shaped ball (a bit like when you rub glue between your fingers and it goes a bit grey and sticky). That's just what happens to us girls during different times of the month.

If you are really worried, speak to your school nurse or guidance teacher- believe me, they hear about EVERYTHING from boys problems to us girls talking about periods! Or go to your doctor/ GP/ nurse at home.If you are above 12 years old, you don't have to tell your parents and can ask information about anything at any time.

If you have had sex or are worried that this might be an issue, I urge you to speak to someone in your school or at home. I don't know where you live but where I stay there are special projects who work with young people and can give you advice, information and tests, if needed. In Scotland, there is a website called www.youngscot.org which has information or the BBC can have good links to reliable people you can ask for help.

But don't worry! It sounds like you';re just normal!

take care
baby-ro :-D

I have had a bad smelling discharge for a long time i have it 2 weeks after my period and sometimes all month, its smells really bad, i have had every STI test done and a scan to see for inflamed cervix but all results came back clear. I haven't got a tampon left up there. I do not use tampons anymore as the smell is worse after using them during a period! what can it be? could it be internal thrush?

i too have noticed some excessive vaginal discharge for the past week or two. i have had a couple of yeast infections in the past (until i found out that i am allergic to a certain type of condoms, and that was causing them), so i know what the symptoms are, and this is not it. no itching or burning, just lost of dischage. it's whiteish and it is somewhat sour in odour, but then again, that is more or less my "normal" scent down there :-D :$ . i am on the pill, and have had the same sex partner for months now, so i am quite sure it's not an std - unless there is something, some std that has excessive discharge as a symptom, and the symptoms don't show till months later.
could it be caused by "rougher" sex, perhaps? i do plan on seeing my gynochologist, but i'm afraid my schedule won't allow that for another couple of weeks, i have no free time whatsoever... so, should i be worried?

As most of you, I also been having excessive vaginal discharge in the last couple of months. In my case, I took plan B around 2 months ago then got a "period" within a week of that. Since I haven't gotten my period since, just some spotting I went to the doctor and they did a pregancy test that came out negative. They gave me Provera for 7 days and the discharge has increased and no sign of my period... Could someone give me some advice?

I don't know but I have this same problem also. I was treated for a yeast

infection and when that didn't work they gave me another anti-fungal and

an antibiotic. I developed the throat mucus after the antibiotic was given.

I wonder if I don't have very resistant yeast and have yeast in my throat too?

I found this place doing a google search for the same problem. Mine has been excessive for a week or two as well. I don't have any STD's and neither does my husband. Nothing hurts, burns itches etc. My last period was the 6th, have only had sex once since then AND we have fertility issues (I have PCOS & hubby has low motility), so I can't imagine it's cause I'm pregnant, so what could it be?
:?

I also have had the same problem for about 2 years. I have gone to my gyno and she told me that it could (maybe) be a yeast infection. However i bought every kind of medication for yeasts and i still have the same problem. My gyno has sent me to get a coloscopy i think thats how u spell it but according to spell check its not. Anyway after that test it revealed that i had abnormal cells on my cervix. Wondering if that has anything to do with the discharge. I have gone back and they say the abnormal cells are gone. So what's the deal?

i just turned 15 and for about 6 months before and after my periods i get this gel like substance..it looks more like snot, it doesnt smell really and ive never had sex so i dont think i have an std, but its been bothering me that i dont know what it is. is it discharge?? %-)

Im now 16 years old and I've been having vaginal muscus as long as I can remember. Im avirgin so i know dont have any sexual dieseases. I dont know what to do because I'm want to lose my virginity sometime soon.

During the 'normal' female cycle of 28 days the consistency of your vaginal mucus changes. Before ovulation there is usually a slight discharge of very thin. clear mucus. As your body gets ready to ovulate and to ultimately support a pregnancy (if you are sexually active and not protected) you will notice that the discharge increases and becomes copious (lots of it). It becomes like egg white, sticky and stretchy. This is completely normal and a good thing esp. if you are wanting to get pregnant. Sometimes during ovulation you will have a little pain in your stomach around where your ovaries are located (usually just on 1 side) and some women have a slight bloody discharge. This is also normal although not very frequent. After you ovulate the discharge will return to the thin, clear mucus but as you get closer to your period you might notice more and sometimes a little blood mixed in. This is called spotting and unless it happens constantly (all month, every month) is also normal.

Being a woman is fascinating but also a little scary. Most school nurses and other places that provide counseling or support are very happy to answer your questions (even though they are sometimes hard to ask).

As you grow older you will learn the way 'your' body does things and that will be your 'normal' to base things on as you age. It's important to pay attention to your body (all of it) so that you will know when something odd is happening and know when you need to see a doctor.

Good luck! :-)