Hi, am 55 years old, and I notices my muscles are wasting, no matter how hard I exercise. Is there anything I can do to save my muscles from atrophy, or is this something I must except as part of the aging?

Hi, I also have the muscle atrophy but not from aging. I am 22 years old, and I damaged some nerves that supply my muscles. It happened when a bookshelf fell down on me. Since then, I am witnessing my muscles getting smaller and smaller. A doctor sent me to x-rays and told me that I might need a surgery to correct this nerve damage. I still didn’t go and I don’t know if I will. I decided to try whirlpool baths and resistive exercises. Everybody recommends that as a treatment for muscle atrophy, and I am very optimistic about this idea. You should try this too, because you have nothing to lose! It’s normal to start losing muscle tissue at that age, so don’t worry about that. But if atrophy is progressing too fast, you should visit a doctor. One more cause for muscle atrophy can be lack of use. However, since you said that you are exercising, your problem is probably not caused by disuse.