Hello, I need help. My mother is 67 years old and she has just broken her leg. Luckily, we acted in time and got her to the doctor immediately. Now, she has to lie down for a while and be still. Doctor mentioned that her muscles might atrophy (causing weight loss) because of that and that some conditions like hip bursitis might happen. How to prevent that?

Well, even though she will not move the leg for a while, after that period she will have to move as much as possible. If still, muscles can atrophy very quickly, in matter of couple of weeks. With some light exercises that can be prevented and should be, because any bone related injuries in her age could really get complicated.

Hi guys. Well, this condition is very tough because you have to rest your leg and stay still, but also can not allow muscle atrophy because that would be very bad for your mother's muscles, especially in latter ages. I have gone through muscle atrophy myself and I can tell you that the feeling alone isn't comfortable at all since I wasn't able to move my legs at all and was in constant pain. Hip bursitis is very dangerous and your mother should go through some exercises as soon as possible in order to avoid muscle atrophy. Write to us and keep us updated.