Hi. I suffer from temporomandibular joint disorder. It hurts every time I chew or open my mouth to yawn. My cheeks and teeth also hurt. I also have headaches and minor hearing problems. I was recommended with chiropracty but I am not sure that is the right thing for me. Why I was recommended with chiropracty to correct a problem with mouth? Could TMJ be treated with chiropracty?

Hi. My uncle has TMJ and he was recommended to seek a chiropractor for TMJ treatment options. Chiropractors are trained to correct ailments. However, first you have to complete your medical exam. My uncle`s chiropractor created him a TMJ treatment plan. This plan excludes all meds and surgery. He is also on some stress relieving therapies (meditation, massage, and biofeedback). Some other treatment options include heat, ice and electric stimulation and ultrasound.