%-) This is difficult and awkward for me. My daughter is 8 yrs old. A delightful child, fun and happy and very outgoing. My spouse and I are disabled and she attends a private Catholic School. Though she has siblings they are a lot older so she is like an only child.
She came to me with this the other day and I was beside myself and may have over reacted. She is starting to develop. She complains of being wet and thinks she is not wiping herself well after going to the bathroom. Her breast have developed so that we have gone and gotten her training bras, (though other little girls in her class, don't seem to be wearing them yet).
She said the other day that when she was in getting dried off in her room after her bath that she was sitting on the floor and discovered that rubbing her vagina on the carpet tickled. She said that in an odd way it felt good and she has repeated this act a few other times. She cried and was embarassed and so I addressed the fact that the wetness she was feeling could be discharge and explained to her about her body changing and that soon she would probably begin her period. I discussed ways in which she can make herself feel more comfortable like (wearing of pantie liner) so as not to be uncomfortable should her panties get wet. I explained to her that girls develop at different ages and that her wearing a training bra should not be something she is embarassed by. As for her incident with the tickling of her vagina on the carpet, she later came back and said that she did this before now. I don't know what to make of this. We ask her if anyone had touched her inappropriately. She said no. We explained why we were asking. She has not been sexually abused, other than school she is always with us. The housing community we live in consist of mostly elderly people. Is this common behavior? What can I do to help her. It is obvious that she is ashamed and has apologized repeatedly for this behavior and says she understands that it is wrong and has not done this since we last talked, which was a few weeks ago. We are soon going to be moving from her school and have even thought that with all the change she is seeking attention. We recently lost our home 1 yr ago and moved here and now are moving in to care for her granddad. I am just beside myself and I don't know what to make of all this. I really hope that you can help me as I am worried about this precious little girl of mine. thank you in advance.

You have handled this amazingly and as for her masterbating ( that is what the carpet thing is ) you should explain to her that being curious about her body parts and how they feel is perfectly natural that it's part of growing up you shouldnt dicourage her from doing it but tell her how nearly everybody does it but it's ment to be a private thing to be done by yourself in your own privacy and that it's nothing to be ashamed of. Hope this helped

I also think that this is very normal. I know that she is very young, that she is only eight years old, but (don't get me wrong about this that I am going to write), but she is feeling nice and pleasant. And that is why she is doing this. 

Children masturbation is nothing odd and strange, kids love to explore everything - they playground, new friends, so you should not be surprised why your kid is exploring itself. Don't try to do anything that is not irrational, you should not punish her because she really didn't do anything that is bad.  Just go back and remember what were you doing in her ages? Maybe the same thing? 

All this is normal. Keep talking to her in a rational calm manner. Our daughter came to us at 9 or 10 (she is now 24) with similar experiences. In fact we remember her playing with herself in the bath when she was about 6, telling us "this feels good." Don't react when these things happen. Over the years, she continues to talk openly with us about sexual matters in an open and honest manner. She regularly started masturbating at about 10 and still does, with no harm to her relationships and life.

I think part of the openness is tied to our our casual nudity at home. Our sons and daughters have seen their mom, dad and siblings in various stages of undress and dress over the years with no ill effects. It just isn't a big deal for any of us.

Keep up the approach you're using.

Tell her how to masturbate properly she might hurt herself on carpeg or using objescts dont worry atleast se told you

Don't worry. It's completely normal for children to want to experiment with their bodies. Just make sure you don't scold your daughter or make her feel dirty, as this will make your daughter feel that what she is doing is not Normal,which could bring down her self esteem. Don't make your daughter feel ashamed but if it would make you feel better ask someone with a girl your age if her daughter does this.

well am a mother of 4 girls and one of them is 7 years old and if i was in the same place as u are now i would have take her to see a doctor to make sure that she still have it and take her to see someone like a council and keep track of her friends and also who she talk too at school and around your home. she is going to be upset because she did said sorry but u will have to explain to her that it's ok for her to go to a doctor and get a check up. it's very serious so don't wait share your concern with the doctor and make sure that the doctor is a woman