I have daughter, nine years old. She had some little nodes round her ear and we visited doctor. He made some examinations, and told something about TMJ swollen glands. I don’t understand what that could be, was healthy always and I don’t know if I should be worry. He told us to come again next week, but I can’t wait to find out.

First to explain what term swollen glands mean. Usually, refers to enlargement of one or more lymph nodes. In a child, guess that is with your daughter too, a node is enlarged if it is larger then one centimeter, or 0.4 inch in diameter. Lymph glands play an important part in defense against infection. Lymph that is produced travels throughout body in the lymph system. The most common places for enlargement of lymph nodes are groin, armpit, neck, under the jaw and chin, behind the ears and back of the head. They usually become swollen from infection, inflammatory conditions or cancer. Don’t worry too much before your doctor gets the diagnosis, probably there is nothing such serious, she is young. If TJM swollen glands appears suddenly and is painful, it may be caused by injury or infection. TMJ is just position of lymph nodes, which means temporomandibular joint.