Hello! My daughter has been diagnosed mild myopia. I noticed she was sitting to close to the TV screen but I didn’t pay much attention to it. I think that most children sit too close to the TV even when they have no problems with their eyesight. But, when she said she couldn’t see the chalkboard clearly I took her to her eye doctor. She wears glasses now and everything is OK. Since our doctor said we can expect further worsening of her myopia I would like to know what contributes to myopia worsening.

Hello! Children often have a progressive form of myopia that worsens throughout childhood. Their vision is easily corrected with eyeglasses, and it usually stabilizes when they reach their age of eighteen. There is no way to stop the progression but there are some things you could do to try to slow myopia in your child. It is important to use sufficient light when reading or doing some work. Your daughter should avoid reading too near or lying down. Also you should take care she doesn’t watching TV up close or spend too much time with her computer.