Hi my name is Barbara and this is my story and GBS. I was 29 and pregnant for the first time. She was born March of 1998. After having Shauna I was left with allergies, asthma and cronic broncitis (mind you b4 pregnancy I was not sick a day in my life). I also had weakness in my legs and arms.Then in March1999 I became pregnant for the 2nd time.The pregnancy was great in the 1st 4 months. My health diteriated in the end of my 4th month.My Dr took me out of work because of my asthma and sever fatigue. At about 6 month my husband had to quit his part time job to stay home with me because I had started to loose feeling in my arms and legs. By the end of my 6th month I had fallen several times because of this. My OBGYN tought the baby was sitting on my syaddic nerve. It got to the point that I could not walk on my own anymore and was experiencing such pain throughout my body I could not wear cloths or even keep a blanket over me (mind you I was pregnant and pain medication was not an option). My OBGYN still did not think there was anything major wrong with me however my Dr disagreed and sent me to a Nurologist. He tested me the best he could and felt I had a demilating nuropothy. I did not know what this was. At 36 weeks my NURO and DR felt it would be best to preform a c section and deliver the baby do to my deterieration.My OBGYN did not feel it nessisary. Well at 38 weeks we got him to deliver, natural I might add. Imediatly after delivery I was completly paralized from the waist down. They sent me to another hospital for IVIGG trmnt and my baby went home with my husband. I was in that hospital for 7 days had trmnt was still in the wheelchair and went home. A week later I was back at that hospital for more IVIGG. I was there this time for 2 weeks. From there I went to a 2 week rehab and home again. I had a lot of home care that came in to help my husband with me. He had a 2 year old and a newborn to take care of as well. After about 3 mnths the people taking care of me advised I go back to the NURO. I did and he sent me yet again to another hospital for Plasma Pherisis I was there for 10 days of treatment and thenwent to one of the best rehabilitation hospitals in the north east. Where I spent 2 1/2 mnths learning how to walk, dress and take care of my self again. My baby girl was 6mnth old b4Icould feed and hold her for the first time on my own and could sit and read to my 3 year old at this time. You know they told me this did not happen because of my pregnancy now they know that pregnancy can onset GBS. I have questions that haven't been answered like Ismyaughter who is now 8 subseptable to GBS. She has a low immune system, allergies and respetory infections. Can my other child who is now 10 which pregnancy they belive brought this all on be subseptible she has asthma and allergies. No one seams to be able to give me a peace of mind on this they simply do not know. I am still fighting my battle 8 years later I have been left with Fibro Myalgia, Pollynuropothy and risidual. However I charrish my recovery to be able to live the best life possible for my family. I owe my determination to live to the fullist to my husband and children. If you have information that can help me please let me know. Thank you for listning Barb in New York

Hi. I just got home from Hospital from a diagnosis of Gillians Barre. I have lots of questions on re-couping. Would like to know if anyone still comes on these post that might converse with me? Thanks!

hi my name is gerard my wife tracy was diagnosed wit gbs dec.13 2006 she spent 2 months in the hospital before going to kessler intitute for rehabilitation those guy are the best she now doing well. hope god bless all the people and there families going dealing with this syndrome

My husband is experiencing Gillian Barre syndrome symptoms. Does anyone know a specialist or a specialist hospital around West Palm Beach, FL?

i have,, a 40 year old sister with gilliain barr she has been in a wheelchair for almost 2 years, she is on so much medication that worry, i know that she is in a lot of pain. can anyone tell me what the doctors have pasribed for you that i can tell her doctor about.an help would be gratful

I am a 46 y/o Registered Nurse/Paramedic w/ 17 years of health care experience. It was just 6 weeks ago I was released from the hospital w/ Gillian-Barre' - quick onset (5 days), severes back pain, unable to walk, upper extremity weakness, difficulty swallowing, numb face, decreased ability to breathe properly. The ventilator was not needed to breathe for me, but it was an option early on. Immunoglobulin was the treatment of choice. 18 days in the hospital, 5 weeks of physical therapy and I'm already back at work. I have taken care of Gillian-Baree' patients in the ICU and I already "knew too much". My toes and feet are still numb but I have feeling. Without God, my wife and children, this would have been a much worse experience. It certainly has had an effect on the way I will practice nursing.

On recovery: I continue to work out at the YMCA and am going "full court press" until I am 100% again!

I am a 58 year old Australian , I got Gillian-bare' in 1979 and never fully recovered , basically paralised from below the arms , 20% strength in the left arm and 40 % strength in the Right arm , full feeling and bladder etc , but suffer a fair bit of pain , The worst part is most medical people have very little practical experience about it and make a lot of off the cuff remarks , I am fighting with a government department because I had a Power Assist wheelchair that broke down and was forced to use a manualchair for 7 weeks and pulled a mussle in my right shoulder , because I got the power assist wheelchair because I was getting aches and pains from pushing the manual chair , they are saying its an existing injury , Anyone with Half a brain would know that one of the problems with Gillian-Bare' is you suffer a lot of pain especially from repetition work , but you don't tear mussles from it .

I had Guillain-Barre Syndrome 10 + years ago (I'm also from Australia). At the risk of boring the reader, I'll relate the full story. I was working as a Storeman in a large warehouse at the time and had completed a weekend stocktake which necessitated considerably more physical stress than I was normally used to. The following Monday I awoke with 'pins and needles' in my hands and feet along with very sore muscles pretty much all over my body. I put it down to the added physical activity of the stocktake and expected to bounce back within a couple of days.

Maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake but I grew steadily worse over the ensueing 2 weeks where finally, I attended the local Medical Centre. My Doctor there, I had seen for a couple of visits for flu or whatever but was surprised when she did a 'sharp/blunt' test on my hands and feet. She immediately phoned her Mentor during her internship at Royal North Shore Hospital in Sydney and being privvy to their conversation, I heard the words Guillain-Barre for the first time. I attended his rooms that afternoon and was immediately admitted. I mention this as I believe I'm one of the lucky one's who found a Doctor who recognised the symptoms and realised the implications and seriousness of this blight.

4 spinal taps and 4 plasmaphereses later the syndrome was halted (6 days in hospital). I was then transferred to a rehabilitation centre where I convalesced for the next 8 weeks. Mine was a mild case and I consider myself fortunate. I met and observed other GBS sufferers who were recouperating at the same institution and all of them were 'basket cases'. One poor guy had been there for 2 years and was far from being discharged.

An adjunct to the rarity of GBS: One fellow in Brisbane, Queensland consulted 16 Doctor's over some months trying to find out what was ailing him. The 17th diagnosed correctly but great damage had been done. He sued the 16 Doctor's for misdiagnosis. He lost the case and costs were awarded against him. He sold everything he owned to meet the debt. Must be wonderful to be wheelchair bound and broke.

I have never regained my pre GBS strength and stamina and the main areas left with a deficit are my thighs and arms. I tire very quickly now and any physical exertion is beyond my capability. Other than the muscle soreness experienced when I first contracted this illness, I experience no pain other than shooting pains occasionally up my arms and legs.

How did I contract GBS?: Noone knows for sure but a couple of weeks prior to being hospitalised and as a result of working very late on the afforementioned stocktake, I picked-up a Chicken Kebab on the way home. The next day my stomach was as solid as granite and bloated. It stayed with me for 2 days. According to my Doctor, undercooked or aged chicken is suspect as the catalyst which sends the auto-immune system haywire. Don't quote me on that but that's what I was told.

hi everyone...I admire all of you...my father suffered Gillian Barre when I was 5 years old...and like all of you he was paralyzed. At the time my mother was pregnant and waiting to give birth to my only brother...and she lamost lost him. With inmense love and dedication my father worked hard and by a miracle my father walked again...my father is and always will be my heroe...he showed me how to live despite anything that comes my way...my father lived 18 more years limited because he had nerve damage to all his extremities...it is all a long story and I too have begun to write a book, only that it is mainly about my whole life...though my father was most of my life and he will be mentioned in nearly every page...anyways..my father passed away may 4th of this year, he was diagnosed with liver failure...I lost my heroe...I would have given my liver and my heart for him to live on...because I am not half the man my father was...and I hope that all of you that arestruggling now understand that you are the reason we live...my father is the reason why I continue everyday...because I know I need to make him proud...I miss him so much...sometimes too much...but know that all of you...who suffered or are suffereing from Gillain Barre have people around you...that love you.. and that are willing to do anything for you...and know that you mean more to them than they do to you...from the bottom of my heart I say that they need you a lot more than you need them...fight each and every single day with might...because you are your kids heroes...not those characters on TV or those popstars on the radio...nor those actors on TV.. you my friend...you are their heroes...and will always be...like my father, never forgotten...if you have any questions or comments feel free to e-mail me... _[removed]_...and keep on fighting...heroe...

My husband also has GBS for 18 months now. We had a excellent doctor (GP!!) who had a neurologist cousin and never had a GBS patient. Thanks to his quick response to our call his GBS was discovered quickly as well as initial immune booster drips. Although he struggle to walk and fell a lot in the beginning he never got fully paralyzed or had to be in hospital on a respirator. He use to be one of the strongest men most of our friends have ever met...he still struggle with lots of cramps every day, using his hands and legs...I don not need to tell anyone with GBS of the long lists of things he still can't do. Seems like most people get good response from light exercise? He feels that he must continue to do everything he did in the past...even though he get sick for weeks after that and struggle with lots of pain...I think he is very scared to face the true facts of the terrible illness...maybe it is because of our positive attitude that he still stays strong...sometimes I feel that he would recover quicker if he just stop to try so hard???? Emotionally this whole thing feels like its never going to end...
I think in the beginning we were stunned...and shocked. Then we started to accept this as there was the fact that most people are cured within 3 years. Now it's just the frustration...and even though we are very positive, its effect on our daily lives can't be denied.

hi my name is zach im 23 was 22 when i came down with this. my story is so long an how do yall remember dates i cant remember one. my time is limited so ill come back to tell mines.

I know how your wives, mothers and friends and family feel. My husband was 37 years when had GBS, the worst thing was not knowing what was going to happen. My husband was also on a ventilator, feeding tube, blood transfusion the works. He was in ICU for 2 1/2 months. He was paralized from the eyes down, I was scared to death not knowing if was going to live or not. We don't have children, we have a special niece and nephew, my husband had one goal was to come home for 1 day, his nephew birthday. After his 2 1/2 months in ICU he was sent to a rehab faciality to learn to walk and do everything he used to do. The hardest part for him was watching older women (80) doing more than him. Well to make long story short he came home for good on his nephew's birthday, the best present ever. My husband worked hard on his rehab after 6 months he went back to work, we put a double wide house on our property and it was hard for him but he did it. He stills has very little feeling in his feet and minor things that bother him. I am just thankful my husband is still here with me.

I'm 46 years old now and I had GBS when I was 12 years old. I had the onset after being vaccinated in the 6th grade. I had immediate onset of a severe headache and stomach discomfort. I described my first physical symptoms as having the feeling of trying to run against a strong wind (leg weakness). We too had trouble getting a diagnosis. The doctors in our hometown had no idea and even played with the idea that I was faking my symptoms. Anyway, my mom called her old doctor in another state and he practically diagnosed me over the phone. By this point I could barely walk. I was hospitalized, had a spinal tap done to verify diagnosis and treatment began. I was on daily doses of steroids along with trips to the whirlpool tub and physical therapy. Even when I couldn't raise my leg or arm the therapist did it for me to build my weak muscles. Six weeks in the hospital with follow up trips to PT and home PT as well, I was back on my feet in a few months. I had a lot of people to care for me and assist with my recovery. I'm not reading that many of you had physical therapy to recover the weak muscles. -I'm not sure about long term affects though. I continued to have weakness and shaking hands but overall, I can't say that I have anything now except maybe some shaking when I have been active - or I could just be out of shape! It is advised that once you have GBS, you can't take flu vaccines, etc. because it can activate those dormant cells and you can suffer from the GBS again...or something like that. I'm not a doc, I just know I can't take vaccines anymore. Good Luck to all of you.

Hi guys i'm 24 yrs old now and i quote old timer as my username because i once had gillian barre syndrome at the age of 2yrs old. My parents said i was ill with the flu a week prior and i was getting over it. they said i was beginning to show them things i had already learned before and then one night they walked into my room to see my limp in my crib. they rushed me off to the hospital. i don't know all the details. i know i was one of the youngest people to ever had gbs and plasmapherese. i was in the hospital for 6 months and celebrated my 3rd birthday in the hospital. the doctors said i was gonna be in the hospital for a year or more and i shocked them all with my progress of getting better.

i had to go through all sorts of physical therapy. like i said i am now 24 years of age and i still get pains in weird places and i am not allowed to get any type of vaccines with out talking to my doctor first, just because they don't know what sets it off.

anyways keep your hopes high and your dreams in front of you and you'll survive and do better then any doctor could diagnose

:-) hello im 12, and my name is andrew i had GBS at 4. i stayed in the hosptail for 3 weeks. i was paralyzed from the waste down. i lost alot of pounds, now im about 60 pounds in 6th grade.i get cramps in my leges for about a minute at a time. im heathy at 12 not the fastest person in my grade but thats ok with me. because i know that God doesevery thing for a reason.
andrew, perryville,mo