Hello all, I'm a type 2 and I just started using insulin. I'm really having a hard time injecting my insulin because I'm scared of injecting. Sometimes it can take me more than an hour to get it over with. I'm getting better as I can manage within 15 minutes or so. I usually can't inject myself on the first try so I have to play with it a bit. Does anyone have any advice about injecting so I don't have to go through all of this. Right now I'm trying to inject in my stomach but maybe I could try somewhere else. Also, I'm bruising and I'm afraid I will get those fat lumps (injecting fat) that you get if you inject to often in the same spot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, I really do sympathize with you because I had the sample problem when I first started with insulin injections. Really, most of it is psychological. You see, then needles don't really hurt okay because they are very thin and very short. It hurts worse to pluck hairs from your upper lip and you know that smarts. To me that's worse than an insulin shot. I've been injecting for a little over 10 years now and it's just old hat. I inject in my stomach and what I do is do one side for a month and then switch over to the other side and that avoids the fat lumps you're talking about. What works for me is to pinch my skin (pinch up) where I'm going to inject and just inject and you can't feel it. There are other padded areas you can inject for example, your hip region or butt. You might want to stay away from your legs in that it is easy to hit muscle and that can hurt a little bit. Additionally, muscle causes a rapid absorption of insulin which is probably what you don't want unless you had a high sugar intake.

I recall that the first needles I used were rather large. But, that was a long time ago. Check your needles see that they are thin and short because if there not go get the thin, short ones. Once it doesn't hurt anymore, your anxiety will go away. I wish the best for.