I've been fixed for 5 years and recently my girlfriend of 1 1/2 years has become pregnant. I have no reason to suspect her of being unfaithful. What are the chances of a vesectomy failing after the doctor saying it was successful?

The surgery may have been a success, but did you return for your checkup weeks after? After a vasectomy, the male is supposed to ejaculate numerous times to help insure sterility. When you go back to the dr. for your check, you would have ejaculated into a speciman cup and it would have been checked under a microscope. Dr would be looking for live (or dead) sperm. If he detected live sperm, you would still be capable of fathering a child. Birth control would still be in order until you saw the dr. again to repeat the same procedure.
Freaky things do happen. There have been instances where a man has pregnated a women after a vasectomy.
You can go to your dr. now and have a test done on your semen to see if you are still potent. If the answer is "no", hmmm...well, that's up to you.

bbfeet9 is entirely correct. You should have gone back afterwards to check to see if the vasectomy was was successful. Did you and what were the results?

It is also possible that it may have "reversed" itself, if the clipped ends of the vas deferens rejoin and weren't sealed properly.

So, go back and get yourself checked out. If you aren't potent then, you figure the rest.

Good luck

Well I have to agree with previous posters. If you didn't went to your check up, then there is possibility. The chances are very low, but it could be possible for you to be potent.
It would be very good for both of you that you are still potent. Keep us posted on your status.

I'm just posting here to agree with what other posters are saying. It's possible that you may have had an incomplete vasectomy which is why you were unsuccessful in getting her pregnant until now but it is fully possible that you could get her pregnant. Please let us know how this turns out for you as I definitely hope it doesn't turn out to be infidelity. Has anyone else heard of something like this?

Hey cman1209, how are you? Did you go to your doctor? Have check your self out? Pleas keep us posted. If you have any other question, feel free to ask.