It is normal for perfectly straight hair to turn curly after a partial thyroid removal surgery? I am growing my hair out after this surgery and it is coming in curly-curly-curly ... ringlets even. This is my only after affect and I am learning to embrace it but am surprised that this could occur. Is it a usual thing?
Thanking you in advance

I had a total thyroidectomy in August 2008. I had previously had a straightener on my hair, but after the surgery my hair became curly. Not the ringlets you described, but still really curly. I

Hello there,

My friend had absolutely the same situation. She had partial thyroid removal surgery last June. Before that her hair was straight and maybe just little bit wavy when it was growing on her forehead in the spring but otherwise than that it was totally straight. Since the surgery her hair started to grow totally curly. At first she was surprised and she thought that by time this hair will go back to the previous condition but since it didn’t happen she consulted her doctor about this matter. He told her that we are all absolutely different and that we all react differently on same things and that she is not the first one with this change and that is better to get used to her new look.

I hope this was helpful.  

i had my gall bladder out at the beginning of December. It seemed like my hair started falling out a few weeks later, but that stopped and now (mid-March) it's turned curly. It's really pretty. I only wish I'd had this hair when I was younger.

I am surprised and smile : 3 weeks after removing half of my thyroid gland, my hair is getting more and more curly! How interesting that several perplekse have experienced the same phenomena!

I am surprised and smile : 3 weeks after removing half of my thyroid gland, my hair is getting more and more curly! How interesting that several persons have experienced the same phenomena!

My hair was super curly and now is straight and thinning since I had a total thyroid removal. Are there supplements I can take to make it thick and curly again?