I need to do colposcopy, detailed examination of my cervix to confirm my smear results and they can identify where the abnormal cells are. This is the first time I’ll be doing this, so if someone can tell me about procedure and what to do after colposcopy. Thank you kindly.

The examination takes about 20 minutes but the whole appointment may take about an hour; you know that Colposcopy feels very much like a smear test but takes a little bit longer. You will be asked to undress from the waist down and lie on the examination table with your legs in leg rests, than doctor or nurse will insert a speculum to hold your vagina open and will look at your cervix through a large microscope. This is the colposcope, about 12 inches in front of your vagina but it does not go inside you or touch you at all. Some clinics can connect the microscope to a video screen so that you can watch the procedure from the doctor’s eye view, but you can ask for the screen to be turned off, or back on, at any time. Once the doctor locates your cervix he will dab it with a number of different liquids, those liquids will highlight abnormal cells. After colposcopy you will return to see your doctor in 1-2 weeks, then you will probably discuss about the treatment.

I recently had to have all of that done, If you choose t watch like i did when they did the dye bit i can tell you that the abnormal cells show up as white so you dont want to see any white hopefully. I also had a biopsy the same day that hirt a bit but better to know. After got my results 2 weeks later and i had to go into hosptial for a loop incision so they could take out the abnormal cells. After that procedure you cant have sex or exercise for 6 weeks (so they say but do it in your own time i felt comfortable after 4 weeks ) They then test what they took out and you should get your results from that 4 weeks later. Mine came back to say that it wasnt cancer but if i hadnt of had my smear last year the next time i was due a smear it proll would of been. Please dont panic as this is very routine as out of 16 female friends of mine i found out when i mentioned this that 10 of them had had to have this done. Im sure you will be fine and goodluck

ps they check you every 6 months after for 3 years to be extra safe so your in good hands :-)