I had a face lift february 14th ( just over 3 weeks ago) and the right side of my face from my eye down to my upper right lip doesn't move but a TINY bit. When I smile I look deformed as my upper right lip just falls down. The teeth show only on the left. My right eye stays wide open when I smile while my left squints as it's supposed to. My nose pulls far to the left because the right side of my nose doesn't lift either.  It is difficult to eat and I wind up having to move my upper right lip with my fingers just so I don't bite it when putting food in my mouth. I spend hours a day looking at it and trying to move it. It moves ever so slightly but it's no where close to the normal side. I look so deformed when I smile or laugh or yawn and I only look normal when I have no expression on my face which is so odd for me because I normally smile so large all day.  At first I was told a week and a half to two weeks and when I spoke with the Doctor he just tells me time will heal it. I cry several times a day and I am depressed. I avoid socializing completely. I am so embarrassed to be seen. I spend hours each day researching and have found some good and some bad info on final results. This is consuming my life and I can't function properly. It is affecting my twin boys, my work and my mental state. I would love to hear from someone who actually went thru the same thing and came out normal. How long did it take? Is it completely normal? 

Thank You 
Linda

Hi Linda, I'm sorry you are going through such a bad time.  I'm writing to you because I was born with nerve damage in my face and have lived with facial paralysis all my life.  Something has obviously happened to your facial nerve when they did the operation and I highly recommend you keep a diary of all the events, when you first noticed problems, any improvements, etc.  Also I would get a second opinion asap. If the doctor has cut the facial nerve then time won't heal it, if the nerve is just bruised then as the bruising comes out then it should improve.  I would insist on an MRI to find out if you can what has happened to the nerve, this is what they do when children are born with facial paralysis, they do an MRI and check the nerve.  If it turns out that things are permanent, there is a wonderful group on Facebook called Courage to Smile where people are living with facial paralysis and going through different surgeries to try and improve it. I know this is a really scary time for you but there are lots of us living out there with this so you are not alone.  There is a wonderful lady called Jodie who got it after brain tumour removal, she is such an inspiration, and an opera singer called Heidi who also suddenly got facial paralysis.  We put a website called facialnervepalsy together and you can read their personal stories there. It is a scary time I know but through having facial paralysis I have met some of the most wonderful people and made lots of new friends.  I do hope you recover, but just know there is support out there and you are not alone.

Karen

Hi, Linda: Just curious if you've seen any improvment since your posting 1 1/2 weeks ago? Has the paralysis diminished? What is your surgeon saying about whether there may have been facial nerve damage versus just saying it may be normal and will subside? I had a facelift/necklift/browlift March 5. I still have a hard swelling down both sides of my face and partial paralysis on the left side. When I smile, the left side of the mouth doesn't raise so it looks like I'm snearing. Doc says to just wait it out in light of the swelling. I'm just curious about what you are being told and if you've seen any improvement? I sure hope this posting finds you seeing some improvement. We go through this major procedure to improve our appearance not to feel like we've looked like we had a stroke, you know? Hopefully, it's just a matter of our being patient and that all will be okay with us over time.

Linda,

Hang in there. At 6 to 7 months this should start to clear up. Your nerves were stretched and shocked. It takes some time but it will get better. I had the same thing happen to my left eyebrow. :)

My mom had a neck lift two weeks ago and has paralysis on the right side of her face :(( i'm so sad for her. Please tell me this will heal. I appreciate any news you can give me

Hi Linda,

Just wondering how you are doing. Any udates?

I also have the exact same problem, I had a facelift on Jan 31 2018 and 11 days later I can’t move the left side of my upper lip and I can’t move my left nostril. It is paralysed. I will post an update as to when I regain movement or if further treatment was required.

I had exactly what Linda described. My facelift was 4 months ago and I can finally smile without looking weird but still have some paralysis. I can't pucker and need to move food that gets caught under my lip with my finger. Without being able to pucker, I cant drink from a straw. I feel like I'm slowly improving. (Emphasis on slowly) I'm assuming in several months I'll feel like the results were with it.

Hello again,
I am leaving an update on my bells palsy nightmare, I had a facelift on 31st jan 18. Bells palsy only on the left side. Severe swelling on the left side. Today on 7th March 18 I have seen a very tiny amount of improvement.
Maybe a couple of extra milimetres of smile can be achieved on the left side. This is causing a slight crease in my nasolabial fold. Its not much, but it is something! My eye, nostril and upper lip are still paralysed.
I have my first session of accupuncture this evening. I will post another update if there is any more improvement. So far it has been 5 weeks before I noticed any changes. I think most of the swelling has gone now, I am taking ibuprofen 3 times daily. I tried Steroids (Prednisolone) for the swelling, but I had to stop after 2 days because they gave me an awful acne rash.
Hopefully this new movement will mean that the nerve regeneration has begun, I am feeling occasional mild tingles/shocks in my cheek once or twice a day.

Its been over 4 months since my surgery and today I’ve been crying. My right upper lip creases and pulls uoward and my lower left lip pulls downward. I cannot blow out a candle, my speech is impaired, I cant eat well and I drool when I drink any beverage.

Its been exactly 8 weeks since facelift surgery. I can fully smile again and I have complete symmetry.
I still have swelling and numbness in my chin area. I cannot flare my nostril or squint my eye fully, but it is not noticable to anyone except myself.
I am happy with the outcome so far. I hope the healing will continue.

Do not give up hope!
Be patient and the bells palsy fill fix itself after surgery.
What a nightmare to go through!
Would I risk doing it again? Probably... for the results it was almost worth the 8 weeks of stress.

All in all, it has taken 4 months to regain full movement in my face. There is now zero nerve damage and all muscles are fully functioning.