I am 24 and i just noticed this yesterday morning. My hands feel stiff as if swollen. Like they have too much blood in them. Also they are very itchy and I'm trying to resist scratching cause when I do they burn. It seems also to be worse in my left hand than my right. Today when I woke up they seemed a little worse but I also noticed that my lips (mostly the bottom one) were also swollen. When I put any pressure on my lips they burn in pretty much the same way as my hands and it flows into my mouth. Also my throat is sore and seems swollen, as it hurts to swallow and feels contricted. The rear part of my tounge also feels sore. Can anyone give any suggestions about what's going on. this is driving me nuts! Thanks in advance

nikki_brand wrote:

It might be lung cancer. Better get it checked.

My son has had similar symptoms. He has been diagnosed with Angio-odema. It is apparently an allergy. He is undergoing many tests to try to identify the trigger. I would be very interested to know how you are. Try taking an anti-histamine. Good luck, Halley.

Having a similar problem... thinking it is an allergy... I'm allergic for sure to Milk, Codfish, Orange Juice, and Peanuts... but am eliminating the possible allergens one at a time best as I can... had some trail mix yesterday and my hands ballooned up to where I could barely close them... and itched like crazy... Trail mix had in it.. Almonds, Walnuts, Dried Banana, Dried Pineapple, and Dried Payaya... probably had some sulfer dioxide in it as well as a preservative...

I went for massage last week and the masseuse pressed on my feet where the kidney reflex point is located and that was sore as heck... so I was worried that the edema/ swelling could be kidney related but I'm thinking more allergy... since it comes and goes depending on how careful I am with what i eat... Good luck... Joseph

It sounds like you may have a Latex allergy. Check into it. It can be life threatening. D.

nikki_brand wrote:

Why do you say this? Itchy hands and lung cancer? What do yo base this on

I ate trail mix yesterday. Within hours my left hand felt like something was pressing into it and hurting. then within 30 minutes my right. My left had was red, then my right, the I noticed all parts of my body where it had been pressed against other parts e.g. thighs, underarms, under breasts were all red. My hands got hot and burning. Touvhning them itched. By next morning my feet had a rash. My hands are swollen.

I am not allergic to any food. Certainly not the main ingredients fo trail mix yet I am certain it was it. So must have been something additive in it.

Eating salty peanuts have in the past caused me to break out in itchy hives on my arms, back, breast and buttocks but I have never had itchy, scratchy swollen hands and lips.

Prior to the holidays my daily diet consisted primarily of a cup of morning coffee or one cappuccino with a granola bar. I would eat stir fry chicken, veggies and egg roll for lunch and/or dinner. Oh, I also snacked heavily on sunflower seeds to stay away from the candy and I flushed regularly with lots of water.

During the holidays I unfortunately indulged in more of the traditional unhealthy foods: cakes, cookies, pastries, turkey, ham, yams, cheese rolls, crackers, candy - you name it I ate it. :'( This left me feeling a little more sluggish and fuller but not itchy, scratchy, swollen and strange looking. Last night I popped 3 small walnuts in my mouth just before going to bed and this resulted in red itchy, swollen hands and fat lips o.O Ok -- How long will it take for these lips to deflate because the "Diva" can not walk around like this (smile).

Seriously, what is the correlation between lung cancer, swollen hands and swollen lips? I sense there is something in the peanut/walnut family that triggers this itchy, scratch, swollen reaction. Needles to say I am back to my diet. Please keep me posted on further information related to these symptoms. Have a blessed and productive new year. :-P

I also have a problem with hands that swell,turn red, and eventually peel. I was researching my symptoms when I came across this post. One of the possible causes was Kawasaki disease, but I believe it only affects children and is usually associated with a fever. Symptoms for that disease also include swelling of lips and tongue which sounded a little like the 24 year olds complaints, so I thought I'd bring it up. I agree with the others that it is most likely an allergy. I believe my problem may be a contact dermatitis. The problem could be caused by contact or something ingested.

My symptoms are exactly the same as of the first post and i am relieved a bit that i am not the only unfortunate person.
I have been patient of allergic rhinitis all my life and for it i take corticosteroid sprays Flixonase ( Flunase ) etc.
This is the first time , such bad symptoms have appeared. Couple of days back, i was fixing a car shade at night time and had physical contact with some bushes, whom i tried to break with my bare hands. I think i got some allergens from that bushes.
A full day passed with no symptoms , then the next night, i felt itching in my body, my elbows, my knees, my butts and palms. When i woke up in the morning, i found out that my palms were red, itchy and heavy. They kept on swelling, also my knees swelled a bit. My hand fingers are like balloons. i could not even close the hands. Then last night my lower lip swelled and its so big at this time.
I tried, Zyrtec, Loratadin, Incidal and nothing is working so far.
I have not tried benadryl so will probably go to chemist and buy it to give it a try too.
I dont know why such foolish diseases happen to me only. All my family members are perfect, i always have one thing or the other..
Anyways, noone gave a concrete medicine for the problem. Its all different perception of different people.
I will try not near to plants ever ( specially that bush ). Lets see how many days i take to get back to normal and whether it happens again or not.

...who said it could be a sign of lung cancer

it is - a very *late* sign. You'd have been spitting up blood and lost about 1/2 your body weight first.

Guest wrote:

Guest wrote:

I am still researching this issue for myself (that's how I found this post), and when I saw the post above, I thought I'd jump in... no facts here though, only a theory:

Every time I break out with one of these severe itchy palm episodes I have always attributed it to either calcium or vitamin C because it always seems to happen after consuming orange juice, and occasionally milk.

I am still searching for the answer though, so I apologize if this doesn't help much. I'll post again if I ever find the resolution.

Well this is a relief, I just woke up at 6:30am or so with all these symptoms, also felt really itchy as if from the inside of my body to the outside and no matter how much I itched at first I couldn't seem to get rid of it. Also noticed white bumps on the skin's surface that would pop up now and again... soaking in a very hot shower/bath seems to have worked for now.

I don't have medical benefits, how much does this cost to diagnose, does anybody know?

BTW, I might add, the white bumps seemed to increase as did the itchiness and swelling and such. After getting some benedryl tablets and injesting a couple at around 0800, all symptoms seem to have subsided and vanished within the next 30 minutes. My roommate and I believe it may be some sort of food-injestion related allergy, or perhaps some developed allergy to a fabric in my bed-sheets or matress; problem is, all the foods I ate last night weren't anything out of the ordinary, pasta dish and cheese sticks for dinner (have eaten many different forms of pasta from many different places in the past, I thrive for Italian food!), drank milk with dinner, earlier yesteday only had some pretzels, a mountain dew, and a dunkin donuts coffee. As for my bedsheets or matress, have been using them a very long time, not sure why I'd suddenly develop an allergy now. %-)

I was rather spooked by this, I'm soon turning 30 years old, and have NEVER had a skin-based allergic-reaction. Only allergy I've ever had is to insect stings (bees, hornets, wasps) that usually ended up in symptoms similar to an asthma attack or vertigo, and as of about 2 years ago I noticed I may have a slight occasional allergy to pollen which results in a very tingly-nosed and unsteady/powerful sneeze. I honestly thought I was dying at first... not exactly what you want to wake up to that early in the morning to on a Saturday. :-(

Also, not sure if it's relevant, but my roommate mentioned to me that the white bumps on my back were about the size of silver-dollars, while the other bumps elsewhere just looked like little dots about the radius of a pencil eraser or smaller.

As well as the fact, my lips got so swollen I sounded like I was talking with my jaw wired shut, and couldn't form words that well and even for a time after the Benedryl, my lips remained sore and tender as well as "hot to the touch" for quite some time. :'(

Most likely it is hand foot mouth disease. Usually small children get it, but it can occur in adults. It's a virus so there isn't much you can do except let it run it's course.