Over the last few months, my lips have felt really chapped and dry but only around the edges. There a little white dots on my lips when I stretch them over my teeth. Yesterday, I woke up and they were also very red. Now they tingle and are red and swollen. Could this be angioedema? They really bother me. Even putting chap stick on them makes them burn.

I have had the same symptoms that you are describing. Did you ever find out what it was? I cannto find anything on it.
thanks

The same thing happened to me, twice in the last two months. This time it's lasting up to a week. I don't have the white spots, but the tingling, itching, burning, swollen lips,and they feel extremely chapped. Some chapsticks burn more than others. Nothing over the counter seems to make it go away, not even Benadryl?

it might be herpes.

I have the same thing...it's not normal fordyce spots. White spots under the skin in clusters. Mine have spread to both corners and center of my lips.

I bet it's a new type of virus. Thats why no body knows anything about it. I went to the doctors, they thought I was crazy and said it was nothing and showed me his lip and said look I have the same thing it's normal....I didn't see sh!t on his clean looking lips. That just pissed me off. So they just automatically think fordyce which is on the border of the lips.

I use to have clear healthy lips. Now they are blotchy, puffy, tingling, discolored, peeling all the time. All I know is that me ex gave it to me as she asked if my lips were tingling before I told her how it felt and had that confirmation look on her face, she was sick at that time. A few weeks after white spots, tingling, and dead layers of skin had taken over my pretty lips. I know alcohol, energy drinks, chocolate, chia seeds, being tired will make my lips tingle and get tight/puffy around the top lip border. I've only had a few slight paper cut like sores on the corner of my nouth, if I kept feeding/helping the problem. (It's nothing like a herpes sore I have seen my friend get many times). You can't even tell there was a sore unless you looked up close and inspect the corner...there is no discharge or anything. Just be careful trying not to yawn is it would sting and reopen.

I'm thinking this is a new form of herpes or something, yet to be officially documented. Right now I'm eating healthy which helps slow down peeling enough to have time between peeling and stops the tingle unless i'm super duper tired. The spots are still there like no tomorrow. Sometimes I would a find a few that would reached the surface like some sort of little white tip sticking out of the lip probably like half a millimeter in size.

I agree with the last post. This is new to me this Spring but your description fits it completely. The lips are puffy and itch/tingle. They crack and peel and little white pustules pop up around the edge I have suffered from "traditional" cold sores. Is it possible that the new creams like acyclovir could cause the virus to modify? Have you used those creams? I have but don't feel they really benefit and find it best to let the cold sore run its course unhindered. It is though the cream interferes with its process such that it doesn't really resolve it and it wants to keep coming back until it has had its run.

I have the same problem my lips are constantly dry tingly burning and red then they start to peel
I tried the doctor who did not seem to take it seriously they have been this way for about a year
Any sugestions i have tried all sorts of creams with nothing really working i would so like to find an answer

I too have had these chapped, swollen, red lips that tingle and burn. I don't have the white spots but my old cold sores scars come up as redness on my lips. I have been getting this every two weeks for the past 2 -3 months. I freaked out the first time because they were so swollen that I looked like I had lip injections. Spicy/salty foods are bothersome and I think it brings it on quicker too. I have been using Vaseline to keep them moisturized as not all chapsticks agree with my lips. The old brands I use to use are like adding fuel to a fire it burns so bad.  I can't wear any lip gloss or lipstick either. 

I believe you guys are all experiencing either iron,B2, or zinc deficiencies which can lead to angular cheilitis which is where your lips are very chapped and dry at the outer edges. take your vitamins! I had this same issue and thought it was herpes and took acyclovir which didn't help at all. I then realized it was an iron deficiency in my case.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

Hi thats interesting as i try to give blood and have been unable to sometimes as i have been told i am eneamic and have tried to sort it with diet and not take tablets so maybe that is worth a try

At the moment i am also suffering with swollen and itchy eye lids wich i was thinking might be connected with my lips reluctant to go to doctors as they do not seem to have answers

Could u let me know what it is? I have the same exactf problem. Its slowly getting worse

I would also be very interested to fin out if anyone has discovered any further information about these symptoms. I have had the same symptoms over and over again for maybe 6 months. every few weeks my lips become very dry around the edges, swollen, itchy and feels like they are burning. I went to my GP but he was not sure what it could be.

I get this every few weeks and last about a week. Very frustrating.

I am so glad to find these posts and learn I am not crazy! I have been dealing with this for a year now! It comes and goes with my lips. Also, my eyelids and extreme itching and watering of eyes!  I've been to opthamologist who diagnosed "blepharitis" and presecribed steroid drop for a few weeks along with "patanol" (expensive allergy eye drop). That certainly helped but I couldn't wear contacts for 3 weeks.  And, now it's back. everyday, itching, redness. So, I just keep using the allergy drops which provide some relief. The only relief for my lips is Aquaphor cream (like vaseline but has healing agent). Spicy/salty and wine certainly make it worse. I've been to two dermotogist and my regular GP and they don't know....except one doctor suggested that I might be drooling at night and it's causins a reaction (since I apparently have an allergy to my own tear protein with the blepharitis, I may be allergic to my saliva proteins as well. ?? when the corners get white crusty, it's because a fungus can form.  There is one cream that helps and it's a perscription with antifungal and steriod in it.  You can try over the counter antifungal creams and see if that helps. Meanwhile, I just keep trying things becuase it's so bizzare. Quality of life is decreasing with managing this but I'm just thankful I don't have oral cancer.  If anyone finds any other answers, please post!  Ps. I take GREAT vitamins so not sure it's that...except becuase I am menopausal (recently), my vitamin does not include iron so I will supplement with some and see if it helps.  I've often wondered if this is a hormonal thing as well!

Thank you for posting this info! I have been dealing w/ the itching/burning/tingly lips as well as the clusters of tiny white bumps (almost like hives) when the lips are stretched over my teeth. Not chapped, (I'm plenty hydrated), not Herpes (my husband and i were virgins and have never slept w/ anyone else or performed mouth-to-mouth CPR or anything that could give us herpes). Could be hormonal as I just started on birth control this year and it started up this year. Wondered if a slight food allergy has developed to something I constantly eat (milk protein is the first thing I'm suspicious of) and maybe that is the cause of the flare-ups. Son has IgE food allergies and it can run in families, and can have onset in adulthood.  Also wondering about yeast overgrowth (candida, related to the body's inability to absorb sugar and therefore the formation of fungus/yeast all over, same fungus as athlete's foot and yeast infections but all over skin). My daughter had that and it is very hard to diagnose but when we took her off ALL sugar (i mean all sucrose, all lactose, glucose, fructose) it went away. Maybe this is something like that? Any thoughts? Or anyone on this thread that got answers after-the-fact?

HAd a similar problem and spend a year trying diet modifications and paying $$ $ to naturopaths....nothing helped. Then I took a closer look at my lip balm, chapsticks, lipsticks. Turns out that it was beeswax...I'm allergic to it. That stuff is in EVERYTHING! Especially natural products and lip balms (sometimes also called cera alba). I found some vegan lip balms and problem solved. Good luck!