Hey there.

My friend Rebeca has a dog for four years now. I was really scared when she told me that she never took him to the vet – NEVER.

I have to say that this was really huge fight between us.

Well, her dog was attacked by a lot of other dogs in some local park three nights ago, and that was the first time that she went to see the vet.

He found him EVERYTHING and ANYTHING, and she told me that this dog is pretty sick.

He is in a very poor state and has some pretty serious health issues, epilepsy included.

Any recommendations for dog epilepsy diet?

I know that she is being irresponsible, but I want to help this dog…  

Hello. She doesn’t deserve to have a dog. She have a dog for four years, and she never visited the vet? That is really, but really bad and ugly. I don’t know what to tell you, but if she allowed this to happen once, I don’t see why this can’t happen next time. Dogs needed to attack him that she can see that her dog is sick. That is really immature and irresponsible. Raw diet is the best option, the best thing that she can with her dog. Raw food have quality source of proteins, when your dog doesn’t get enough animal proteins and amino acids, this thing happens.  

Hey everyone,

I used to have a dog with epilepsy, and after looking around and researching, I found out that the key in making your dog better is the food that you give him. And if you have time, even if you don’t have it, you should find it, because you need to cook for your dog. The major cause of this disease are the nutritional deficiencies, and the kibbles are just not good for them. You need to avoid  feeding him grains, wheat, corn and soy because they are usually the cause of allergies and seizures. You can search for the recipe, or you can make one yourself. I used to feed my dog with skinned and boiled fish and vegetables, carrots, beans and potatoes.  Remember to cook all of it.

Hey there,

I always vote for a raw and homemade prepared food. I remember when my mom’s dog was diagnosed with epilepsy. He told her that he should feed her with brands such as Nestle, Purina and Pedigree. I totally disagree after I did some research. Those are the foods with the lowest quality in nutrition. So, obviously, that vet doesn’t’ know what he is talking about.

Please, avoid those brands, trust me, they are not good and they are not diet at all in this case.

You should feed your dog with the food that has enough animal protein and amino acids, that is crucial. 

That really is irresponsible. :/

My sister had epilepsy ever since she was a child and I know a lot about the food that she eats. Few years ago I met this guy whose dog suffers from epilepsy and when he started talking about the diet program of his dog it reminded me of my sister, because we heard some similar things from her doctor.

Both humans and dogs who suffer from this disease need to have a diet that causes the body to produce an abundance of ketones.

A diet like this is very high in fat and low in carbohydrates.

They say that it is good for dogs with epilepsy. Maybe she should try it.

I am not sure I agree with you Dalmatian_lover. I happen to know a lot about epilepsy in both dogs and humans. This diet has so many side effect and it has never been proven that it benefits dogs with epilepsy.

It’s been noticed that there is some progress for humans with epilepsy who follow this diet, but even for them it’s not recommended unless it’s a severe type of epilepsy they’re dealing with.

This diet can cause many problems to dogs such as: dietary deficiencies, nutritional imbalances and issues caused by a high fat diet . Think twice before you recommend it.

Hello. I have heard this as well, about this diet program. It is really hard to make conclusions without knowing some very important facts…It is really hard to say what diet program is the best, because our dogs are not the same. According to this rule, you should know that your vet is the only one who can tell you more about this diet program, especially after some analysis as well. I still do agree that raw food is the best option ever, but maybe it is not crucial as well. It is really, really hard to say. Good luck!

@dalmatian_lover Let me also add that a Phenobarbital, which is a drug that is often used to treat epilepsy in dogs, causes increased blood levels of a form of fat called triglycerides.  

Now if you think about it, it wouldn’t be a good idea to put a dog who takes it on a diet that consists of 80-90% fat. It could cause a disaster.

People who have dogs with apilepsy should put them on a diet that is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). I’ve read that DHA has been found to be very important in brain development.