Hi guys. I have had a hemroidectomy almost three weeks ago. I am a bit disappointed in my doctor. I did not see him after surgery at all, he is a man of very few words who is very quick and short with me when I do have an office visit. Anyway, on Monday, about 18 days after surgery I go to his office. I am finally able to sit somewhat and just starting to feel better. He decides to do a dilation of my VERY sore and painful rectum. I screamed and he simply said "if you have a tight rectum, it will be your fault".

The thing is. Without hardly any warning or anything, he inserts a finger into my rectum and sends my pain level THROUGH the roof. I can not believe that this is a normal practice so soon after surgery. I am a grown man, and this surgery has been the worst pain I've ever experienced. I severely doubt many people could handle the amount of pain he inflicted upon me. It was insane. I can not believe this is something doctors regularly do so soon after surgery.

The most info I have had about the surgery is this. I had grade 4 hemroids. Both inside and out. There was major stitching and extreme pain. I went into surgery at 11am and don't think I was actually out of recovery until 3-4pm. I hardly remember the first day. Just waking here and there and screaming in pain.

Anyway...am I wrong? Is this something doctors usually do so soon after surgery with no warning, no pain meds, no local, no nothing? Since then I feel like I've easily lost a week off of my recovery. The whole inside of my rectum is much more swollen and painful again. Having a bowel movement is impossible without almost puking from the strain and ungodly feeling it places on my rear end because it gets so close but won't release. It seems to spasm, and of course bowel movements are much more painful again.

Damn that hurt...

Seriously....this was extremely painful. Is this normal to do so soon after surgery? Anyone?

Ouch! I don't know if this will be much help for you, but I am under the impression that dialation for anal problems (fissure, abscess, etc...) had gone out of favor in the past several years, at least in the US and UK.

There is some information about dialation on the anal fissure self help page boardsailor.com/jack/af/>.

Nothing I can find says anything about dilation after surgery. I can't believe he did this. I'm almost 5 weeks from surgery and still have pencil sized stools no matter how much fiber I take. It seems I can never finish a bowel movement and my stomach is in knots.

I have found that anal dilation is an outdated procedure that should be discarded but it is usually used for anal fissure under anesthetic or BEFORE hemroid surgery. I find nothing that says anything about using this SO soon after hemroid surgery not to mention WITHOUT anything for pain, and judging by the amount of pain and additional swelling it has caused it probably isn't a great idea.

I don't care what they say, don't let the doc do you like this.

My doc didn't go far at the two week checkup. He did try to insert a finger a bit and decided it was too tight and stopped. About four weeks out I started backing down on the enemas and about that point was when I noticed that my hole was MUCH smaller than before. So the doc suggested anal dilation using a fat permanent marker which was round and had a tapered end - I'm sure you can figure out which one when you see it at the office supply.

I also noticed a 'mattress stitch' for want of a better description where there was a stich knotted up to the side of my anus and apparently went somewhere inside. That hurt a lot until the stitch dissolved and broke free. From that point on about two months the slow dilation got me back to where I could at least pass poo without screaming in pain - it was pretty much regardless of firmness. The hole was just too small and rough guess would be about 3/8 of an inch diameter before it started to hurt. Six months of slow dilation got it up to double that at 3/4 when I finally decided I could have a normal poo without pain and stopped the dilation.

I have same problem

Hi I have the same problem. I had 4 balloon dialations and am about to go for another. How many did you need to have and are you completely better?

Hi I had 4 balloon dialations and am about to go in for another one. Can you please tell me if your any better now? Such a simple procedure supossibly I went in for and I feel they have ruined me