It has been 6 weeks since I had hem surgery. It was 2 external and 2 internal and pretty bad once according to the surgeon.

it was hell first few weeks of course. Thank god to the hot bath! If I write my whole story it would be long. I had this surgery 14 days after I had my baby. I have never had hard time like this physically and mentally in my whole life!!! Even I have always had some kind of medical problem AT ALL THE TIMES! 

Last 2-3 weeks I started having the feeling I want to push all the time! I feel like something in there needs to be out. It gets worse after BM. I went for my 2nd check up with the surgeon a week ago and explained the feeling I have. He checked my bottom and he said that I have a scar tissue. The scar tissue makes that gross feeling! He said he dilated it so scar tissue would broke. He said that he needs to dilate it couple of times. I asked him that if it goes away and he said USUALLY it will go away but it takes time like 3-6 MONTHS. I left his office almost fainting due to of discomfort and the pain. I have to say that I have very HIGH tolerance in pain. After I got home that wanna push feeling got worse and now it has been a week and I can not stand it anymore. I still have soo much pain when I have BM and plus I'm having frequent BMs. Btw, surgeon did not think that frequent BM is related to the surgery. So, I'm seeing my GI on Friday ;(

Anyway, I'm seeing my surgeon on Tuesday and I'm going to ask him if he can remove the scar tissue. I would rather have second surgery than having this awful want to push feeling all the time. I just want to die if I did not have my new born baby. I have been through LOTS OF medical problems and pains and nothing was not like this whole hem surgery complications.   

Is there anyone had a scar tissue? Did it go away? did you have want to push feeling? how did you deal with it? did you have second surgery to remove it ? how was it? did it work?

please help me!!!! 

Sassycat...I had hem surgery 5 years ago and I still have major problems having a bowel movement.  It feels like glass cutting my right side and I have a "flap" sticking out. I always say I have a cauliflower butt.  It is so painful and brings me to tears.  My bowels are normal sometimes and very thin most of the time.  The pain is worse than childbirth.  I feel like part of my colon is always hanging out and it is unbearable bringing me to tears.  I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't at this time.  Hopefully we'll find an answer here.

Hi denisezam GI doctor examined and said that I have a anal fissure. That's why still hurts but today I went to see my surgeon and he said that its not a fissure its just wound from surgery and has scar tissue. He said that we need to keep dilate it and it will get better in 3 to 6 months... Did you go to see r surgeon? What's their opinion. Maybe ask them to check it and see if u have anal fissure or fistula. Good luck and let me know if you want to talk yo me... I understand you so very much

It's been 7 weeks since my surgery Sassycat. I had 2 internals (doctor said they were "quite impressive") and 1 external. I had pain when sitting or passing a large BM, but what made me finally get the surgery was the increased bleeding. I had to buy menstrual pads for my butt to prevent a mess because of the bleeding! I was healing well from the surgery and had no more pain, but had the same feeling as you. If the BM was firm at all, it just came out as a thin ribbon and I had an enormous desire to strain hard, but not much came out. After a couple of days I would have an enema or take magnesium citrate to flush myself out. I went back to my doctor just this week and when he examined me he was surprised by the amount of scar tissue I had. It was painful when he just tried using his pinky finger!

Tomorrow I'm expecting a delivery of anal dilators. I'm not looking forward to using them, but want to try it before having another surgery. I'll be starting off with 8mm (less than 1/3") diameter and (hopefully) work up to larger ones as things get expanded. These are pediatric anal dilators, since the adult ones usually start at 1" diameter and would be way too big to start with.

When I had my hysterectomy, they said I had a lot of scar tissue from severe endometriosis. A year after that I had severe pain in the lower right part of my abdomen, so severe at times that only morphine could ease it. An MRI showed nothing, so they tried a colonoscopy but couldn't get around that last corner without my vitals dropping dangerously low. The only diagnosis they could come up with was that the scar tissue was pressing on the vagus nerve right at that spot. Luckily I only have occasional twinges of that pain now, but I wonder if I'm more likely than most to develop scar tissue.

I will let you know how the dilators work. I'm trying to keep optimistic, but am getting really tired of the daily worry about what my BM will be like. I've been using stool softeners off and on to keep away from that horrible (yet unproductive) desire to push, but know that's not a long-term solution.

HI TB 1 , I'm so sorry that you have been going through ... that feeling is horrible. So, surgeon has been dilating it with his pinky first and the index finger. he said that my husband should do the same everyday. So he is. Good news is I started feeling very good since last night. I woke up with almost no pain and discomfort. I was afraid to have a BM as it gets worse afterwards. I had very tiny thin BM's today and pain is almost free (I guess tiny BM ) And the pushing feeling is very less than before. Now I really started seeing light in the tunnel... So, let's keep dilate it and see if we can get over this eventually without another surgery. Where did you get the dilator? My surgeon did not mention about it. I would like to try it. My husband going to be gone for a week. So, I don't want to stop dilating it. Also, I'm going to have colonoscopy next sat. Wish you the best and I'm here and please be with me until we get over this together!!!!

The company is called Specialty Surgical Products. My surgeon had to fax a prescription to the company for the sizes he thought would be appropriate, then I called and gave them my address and credit card info. They don't handle insurance, but the prices were reasonable. I think it was $11 each plus about $20 for 2 day shipping. I think I would like the control over what's going in so I can better limit possible pain. I just hope it's not too difficult for me to do myself. While I'm sure my husband would help if necessary, he's a little squeamish about this kind of thing and also worries he would hurt me.

I would imagine the colonoscopy would stretch things out too, although I don't really know the size of the scope they use.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi tb1

Today I'm feeling pretty bad. I had bm this morning not that hard but it hurt a lot and I was very uncomfortable ... then I had a diarrhea hurts bad too. And my hubby was gna dilate it as usual but he said it got narrower than yesterday. And he barely could insert his pinky and I was screaming. He didnt even want to try the index finger.

I'm pretty sad that it got narrower. Now, I started really worrying about that maybe only solution is the surgery ...

but he says that diarrhea might made it narrower lets see tomorrow ...

I don't know, I guess we will see tomorrow.

How are the things with you? How are you feeling?

btw, I'm asian and my surgeon said that asians most likely to develop scar tissue ;(

I tried replying, but it didn't show up. Hopefully I'm not double-posting!

I tried the dilator for the first time today, starting with the 8mm one. I lubed it good with KY and was relieved to have no pain all from it. Also, while I could definitely feel it, it didn't feel overly snug so tomorrow I'm going to try the 10mm one. I'd recommend you ask your doctor about getting these and giving them a try before surgery if you can bear to give it more time.

Of course I don't know if this is going to work, but I'm keeping my hopes up.

I wonder if your diarrhea inflamed the tissues and that's why it was painful. It sounds logical.

Hi tb1

How is it going?

If I have soft Bm actual bm pain is better but afterwards there are lots of discomfort. I can't even put it in the words... but I think overall it's getting better but very slow.

Please let me know how are you doing.

I hope I don't jinx myself sassycat, but I think it's getting better. I used the 8mm dilator for 3 days and this is day 3 of the 10mm. I could tell a big difference with the 10mm and at first had some minor bleeding. The past 2 days my BMs have been more normal in shape (to be blunt, more like turds and less like diarrhea). Before I would have had to strain to get any out like this, but no straining! I am reducing the stool softener and am using less now than any time since the surgery.

I am feeling more hopeful every day that I can get back to normal, or at least close enough to normal. It feels so good not having a really loose BM and yet still able to get rid of it.

I haven't had any pain with my BMs, but that's probably because I didn't let it get firm since I knew I wouldn't be able to get rid of it.

I sure hope you get better. If you decide on surgery, be sure to ask what will prevent more scar tissue from forming and starting the problem all over again.

I'm glad you are doing better. I'm doing little better. If I keep my stool firm pain is much better. But after bm feeling is still there. I feel like some heavy thing is hanging down on my bottom.
But overall better.
How do you feel after bm?

I'm hoping I will not need a surgery. Also I wonder if we need to dilate it rest of our life or once it gets better should be fine

I'm lucky in that the only pain I feel is when I can't have a full BM. And that's not actual pain, but discomfort from getting bloated and from the straining. As for if it might get narrow again -- I don't know. I've read some posts where that did happen to people.

I'll send an update again in a few days to a week to let you know how I'm progressing. Please do the same. If nothing else, it's nice to know you're not alone in these problems.

Hi, I just wanted to update

Colonoscopy result

One small pocket (diverticulosis) - not to worry
2 very small internal hems - not to worry
scar tissue - not that bad
anal stenosis - not that bad minimal dilation needed
ANAL FISSURE- pretty bad, not healed at all, about half inch size

Continue high fiber diet, nitroglycerin ointment and Doctor hopes that time would heal it ...

Oh, AF is due to of surgery, unlucky me ;(

I was feeling better last few days until colonoscopy. Nasty want to push feeling came back ;(

TB1 how are you doing? Do you still have that want to push feeling? If yes, when do you have it? what seems to help it? How is your dilation going on?
I was thinking if you did not have colonoscopy you should have one. It dilated my anal. I could tell it ;)

Hope we all get back to normal soon

Cheers

Hi Sassycat. I had another setback this past weekend. It seems like they always fall on the weekends! I guess I had cut back too much on the stool softeners so that even though the poop wasn't hard, it was too firm to go through. That's when I get that unstoppable urge to strain. It's just the urge to pass the BM, which won't come out. So then I took a fleet enema and some Milk of Magnesia to attack it from both ends.

Things feel different now, though. I feel sort of like when I had hemorrhoids. I'm hoping things just maybe got a little swollen from getting cleaned out. I pray it's not another hemorrhoid being formed.

I just started using the next larger dilator (12mm). I can definitely tell it's bigger! I got a little bleeding from using it, but no more than when I moved up to the previous one and it stops right away. I have one larger dilator (14mm) after this one. It does seem to be working. Before, I couldn't push a Preparation H suppository inside me. Now I can, so at least something positive is happening.

I don't know anything about anal fissures. That must be what's been causing your pain. It sounds like getting the colonoscopy was a good idea for you, both to get stretched out and to find the anal fissure. If the dilation doesn't help me over the next few weeks, my doctor may want a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy to check things out.

I'm glad you have a better idea what's behind your problems. Hopefully the anal fissure will heal soon and you'll be feeling better.

Hi tb1. I just wanted to check in how are you doing these days? Surgeon said that my anal got little better. I think due of colonoscopy as my GI doctor told me that he would try to stretch it. i still have my symptoms. It's hard to tell if there is a even little bit of progress or not. I hope you are already better by now.