Tell me about orthotics if you have them please. Why did you get them? How much did they cost? Where did you get them? How did you know you needed them?

I keep wondering if I should get them. I had a stress fracture in my foot last year. I'm afraid of getting another one. I feel like my feet are sore on the tops sometimes and I wonder if orthotics would help. I have good new shoes, but wonder if I'm still about to get another fracture. Would I go see my orthopedic dr. first or just go get them?

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated! Thanks!

My wife just got them. I don't know what they cost yet, I don't think we have the bill. You should PM her.

i've worn custom orthotics by footlevelers for two years. i did like them alot while they lasted, but they wear out and fall apart, in spite of their pricey tag ($200) :? i've recently bought some soft-sole arch support inserts and they seem to be extremely supportive (arch-wise) and lots of cushioning as well -- $20 a pair. i dunno, sometimes i think orthotics may be the only way for certain strides, like overpronators, but for a neutral foot i think you can do just as well over the counter.

the custom orthotic i wore is rigid -- it keeps my shoe from bending in the middle which, to me, is a natural part of a gait. i've also found that the rigid base in my shoe tends to pinch my foot along the edges and has pinched a nerve along the inside of my foot which SUCKS completely. i take the orthotic out and the pain seems to lessen..... :shrug:

in any case, the thing that comes with the shoe is c**p and should be ditched for something better immediately.

SUPERFEET is the brand i recommend. I use the green ones...mainly because I overpronante..they have different ones for the various levels of needed arch supports...without them, I would probably have sore feet..and possibly shin splints. they work wonders, but you have to break them in first. when i first wore them, the bottoms of my feet felt a little sore.

I got custom thru the doc this year for PF. $400 but the insurance covered them. So far so good.

I got orthodics because i had really bad shin splint pain on my inner shins. Turned out my arches were caving in due to lack of support in my kleets and it caused a big strain on the tendons. My orthodics ranged around 400 i think. Not too sure who it was from but I just asked my school trainer who he recommended for leg doctors and he sent me to his best. They mold the plaster on your feet so that they fit your arches. I would say get some type of warranty bc mine broke after about 1 year.

orthotics could be expensive unless you have insurance, there are those that they sell at sporting stores, but those are the ones for the not so serious problem with your feet. It is better to get the ones that are customized to fit you, those are the ones worth getting.

If you have had a metatarsal stress fracture, that means that one metatarsal is being overloaded. Orthotics for this condition should act to spread force over the entire surface of the foot in order to reduce excessive stress on any one metatarsal. The tighter an orthosis conforms to the arch of your foot, the more effective it will be at doing this. Superfeet are a great OTC device and I recommend them all the time. Custom orthotics work better for this problem as long as they are prescribed so that conform very closely to the arch of the foot.