Do you use inserts other than the thin one that comes in your shoe straight out of the box? If so, why for? Does it work for that purpose? And, does it extend the life of your shoe?

I use the Dr. Scholls inserts after my shoes have a few miles on them. Seems to make them more cushiony and last longer...
my .02

i have custom orthotics that i use. a chiropractor suggested them and i reluctantly ordered some; now i can not even imagine running without that thing in my shoe. it does not extend shoe life.

these inserts have a great arch support. i think that is what i really "miss" when i wear shoes without the inserts. i'll always be using something like this, i'm hooked.

My wife just got some superfeet green inserts. They are supposed to help with her plantar fasciitis, but they feel a little uncomfortable (I say a little, but I'm not wearing them). Supposedly after 10 days they should feel much better.

From day one, I rip out those flimsy 'sock liners' that come with running shoes. If I've got the room for a full-length insole, I go with a Sof Sole Arch Plus and if the model of shoe is more limited in 'volume' so to speak, then I go with the 3/4 length Dr Scholls Advantage Arch. It doesn't look like it and the spoof 'wet test' doesn't show I've got high arches, but my running buddy physical therapist gave me the complete gait analysis and even though they might not be 'high', they are 'rigid' and I need that support of a good filling arch insole. I have yet to see a shoe that comes with enough arch that I feel good. The Sof Sole & Dr Scholl arch products do the trick for me everytime. I doubt they add much life to the shoes, but they keep the injuries away, so in a sense, there is added life to the shoes because I continue to run until the last morsel of foam sole is mashed out.

I think I'm like you. I think I've got a higher arch that it looks like when I'm standing in front of the shoe guy in my socks, because I can't stand a shoe without enough arch support. My roommate and I were talking about this. My current shoe is doing okay, but I might try the dr. scholls thing you mention on a quick 5k or so and see what happens.
My roommate was thinking maybe if you traded out whatever cushy insert you're using once the shoe's cushioning was shot maybe you'd have 50 more miles? I don't know. I have a friend whose orthotics tear the c**p out of her shoes. So I guess it can go both ways.