I have had a couple self-diagnosed stress fractures of the tibia a couple years ago, and haven't really ran since. I also know I am a somewhat severe over-pronator (from more professional diagnosis).

I want to get back into running, and am am wondering what I could do to prevent injury. My guess, correct me if I'm wrong, is a "motion control" shoe (perhaps Brooks Beasts), and custom orthotics.

Back a couple years ago, I tried the Brooks beast and OTC orthotics.. but had the same problems. So now I'm just hoping that the custom orthotics can fix the problem.

Also, I know I should have gotten the stress fractures properly diagnosed, but they're all gone now. It did fit the stress fracture symptoms (pin pointed pain in the bone, only hurt when pushed the right way or when running/jumping, about 1/3 the way up the tibia, also, it got worse as runs progressed or was there from the start.)

Comments? Shoe recommendations?

I think the biggest thing for stress fractures (assuming that's what you did have) is simply overuse. Too much mileage too fast will cause stress fractures rather quickly. Given that, wearing the wrong shoes and/or the wrong orthotics will accelerate this process. Be sure you get shoes/orthotics from a well-known and well-repected store. Also, do NOT mix motion-control shoes with orthotics!!! Why? Orthotics are designed to be used with a normalshoe - one that offers no additional support or adjustments for pronation/supination. If you mix a shoe for pronators with an orthotic for a pronator, you'll push the foot too far. Either wear a motion-control shoe, or a normal shoe with an orthotic.

Forgot one other thing. If you go with orthotics, have them before you shop for shoes -- you'll need to put them inside the shoes when you try them on.

I have had stress fractures as well. I have found for me that balancing out the leg muscles has been key in preventing injuries for me. Squats, lunges, deadlifts, calf raises, leg extensions etc. at least twice a week. Also I have wore motion control shoes with orthotics. My feet are as flat as the come with huge bunions and my foot will not fit in a regular shoe. Mizuno has some great motion control/stability shoes. The Legend was my favorite but the Renegade is motion control and the Alchemy5 is stability and I run exclusively in that now. Good Luck.