long story short - I have chronic pain and have been Rx'd oxycontin & oxycodone. Due to bad management, I ran out early and have been using some old suboxone to get by. I go for refill in 4 days. What if my pain management Dr. does a random test (Never happend before)? But a couple of things have signaled me that it may happen. Or I could be paranoid.

Should I stop the suboxone now? Is it okay? Will i hurt myself if I suddendly stop? Help, please.

Sounds like you may have drug dependency issues. Of course my advice is to stop taking the drugs if you no longer require them for pain management. Will you have withdrawal issues? Probably. If so you are going to have to deal with it, one way or the other.

If you still have pain and require medications for it, see your doctor. If your needs are legitimate your doctor should have no issue with helping you.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

No, the pain is real, dependancy issues aside, I cannot physically function without some sort of relief.

Without going into details, - it was not a normal situation - I ran out of my regular pain meds a bit early. I had some old Suboxone that was tried in the past for pain in lieu of the regular percocets, norcos, oxy, etc. It helped but not enough for me to function with any quality of life. So I quit and went back to regular pain management.

So when I ran out, I decided to try the leftover suboxone again. Same result, but at least it kept me out of the emergency room screaming in pain.

It suddenly dawned on me: What if my regular pain management doctor did a random test (she did not prescribe the suboxone)? Would it show up, considering that pain management doctors I assume test at high levels? And if so, how long before Suboxone is completely out of your system. Or should I just come clean with the Dr. and beg for mercy? I don't want to be discharged from this program; they are very good.

I screwed up in managing my regular pain meds. But I am not an abuser, normally. This is the first time I have ran out early. So again, should I just stop the suboxone now and deal with what ever pain comes? Or could I hurt myself doing that?

Thanks in advance for any help.

It is not advisable to go cold turkey. If you have legitimate needs for pain medication by all means see your doctor. If dependency has developed you will likely start experiencing withdrawal within 24 hours. How bad it becomes I can not know. (I don't know the extent of your dependency). Clearance of the suboxone to non-detectable limits will take more than the 4 days before your refill.

Don't know what else to tell you except be more careful in managing your meds and good luck, I think you'll need it.

Many thanks again. FYI I have been taking 2 8mg suboxones a day. I'm not concerned with the withdrawals (I've quit cold turkey before in anger at the situation, i.e. - having to take this stuff). The withdrawals I didn't seem to experience. But the back pain was horrid.

Are you sure about the clearence of the suboxone? I understand it has a half life of 36 hours, so I should be close, but on the money.

Here's why I think it will take more than 4 days for it to cease to be detected.

Opioids attach to receptors in the brain, with three main effects; reduced respiration, euphoria, decreased pain. The more opioids ingested the more of an effect. As a person increases their daily intake, the brain actually changes and produces more opioid receptors. This is why it takes more opioids for the same effect as the tolerance progresses. The process of opioids binding to the opioid receptors can be thought of as a mechanical union, the better the fit the more the opioid effect. Buprenorphine is different. It too binds to the receptors but with an imperfect fit. As a result the Buprenorphine tends to occupy the receptors without all of the opioid effects. Buprenorphine tends to stay with the receptors, blocking them, much longer then other opioids do. This stickiness, is what makes Buprenorphine last so long, up to 3 days.

Three days is for it pain management effect. It should still be detectable more than 3 days even though it no longer is functionally analgesic.

Well I guess you pays your monies and you takes your chances. I 've only been on the sub for about 4 days. Again, I'm not even sure a drug test is imminent. I think I'll stop now - last dose- about 4:00 pm yesterday. If I absolutley need it for pain before Monday, then so be it. If not, then this is my best chance to pass if a test comes. Unless there's some sort of "test free" out there that would work on this type of stuff.

Thanks again so much for your help.

If I understand correctly Sub has a half life of 36 hours meaning every 36 the sub in your system is cut by half. Just be careful if it is not subutex and is suboxanone is will contain nalaxone that will casue you to go into withdraw within minutes of taking it. wait 12 hours for rapid release opitates and at least 36 hours for time release before taking suboxone, subutex can be taken as soon as you start feeling bad but may make you a little quizy for a few minutes.

Keep an eye on your blood sugar. any sign of you kidney or liver having problems go talk to your doc.

Buprenorphine is undetectable in urine unless a speficic Bupe test is requested. Been taking Suboxone for almost 3 years. Originally, to get off methadone. The result is frequent drug-tox screens of my body fluids. Not once have I been tested for Bupe and not one test came back positive for opiates or otherwise. While I am certain Bupe can be detected in a person's urine and hair, it is an expensive and rare instance when it is tested for. That is one primary selling point when Suboxone is pitched to replace methodone/heroin.

Subs cannot be detected in a drug screen unless they are looking for it. Most doctors will not look for it specifically. You should be alright if drug tested. The one thing I don't understand is why a Doc would prescribe you subs for pain. It is not for pain relief. Did you once have an issue and had some left over from a treatment plan for opioid addiction? Subs are NOT for pain relief period. If the Doc gave you subs for pain relief, I would suggest you not go back to that particular Doc, as he does not know what he is doing. Suboxone is a very good drug for people with opioid addiction.

I've been on Suboxone for treatment of dependency issues for several months. THat being said, Suboxone is, according to my doctor and my Care Coach used to treat pain. In fact, Bupe was originally created as a pain reliever and it is only somewhat recently that it has been marketed for opiate addiction treatment.
~Eva

Yes, I was on oxys myself and went to the doc for treatment and he gave me subs...in the mean time I went and had mri's to find the cause of pain and low and behold, it wasnt all in my head. The pain was caused by several different things throughout the body. The doc doesnt want to get me back on your typical narco's so he has kept my sub count up instead of trying to wean me off as he would had there been no cause for pain. They do help for pain, they are not your "typical" pain killer but they are a class 3 narco and seem to be taking the edge off...I miss the narco's but no matter who you are, eventually opiod treatment either stops or becomes unmanageable in some way. Weather people want to admit it or not is another story altogether...

I have a urine test at a pain management on Thursday at 3:30. I went on vacation and my kids were helping pack and dropped my bag. With medicine in it. I didn't realize that my mess were gone until I was 6 hrs into my drive home. Then they told me that they had dropped my bag and stuff had fell out and they thought they had got everything. A friend gave me a piece of subetex told me it would help my pain. Will I be ok on my drug test for my pain management ?

Nope you will not

The doctor could help but your pharmacist may not feel comfortable doing an early refill. So, when you talk to your doc, come clean with the Dr and he/ she could adjust your meds, could even phone in a script for tramadol to get you by until your appt. Suboxone WILL show up in your urine screen. An example for The way the subs work: 9am you take 10mg ,10hrs later you'll show 5mg, 10hrs after you'll show 2.5 and so on. However, if the suboxone you have was prescribed by the doctor you are seeing now, you will not have any problems. Unless they directed you to discontinue their use. I hope this helps