hi guys, so I have to say that I am a bit concerned about my health. why? well, I had a wisdom tooth removal and now I have some weird symptoms...don't know how to explain, but I did some research on the internet and it made me believe that my dentist damaged my nerve during this procedure. well, whenever I had some procedure, I never had this experience. or anything similar. anyway, the main question is what to do now? if my nerve is really damaged, what to do about this? and how to go to see my dentist and tell him what I suspect about? not a good situation, you need to admit. 

Yes, it can happen because it is very complicated surgery in some cases and yes - it is very easy to damage the nerve. Look, it can be very dangerous. Just because you are scared that your doctor may be "offensive" with the fact that he did something wrong, it is a sign that you need to find another doctor. I remember that my good friend had wisdom teeth out and the nerve was damaged causing. Symptoms were pretty much the same as you are now. He was "scared" to tell this to his dentist, who did the procedure, so the whole recovery process was over after 7 months. He is fine now, but you need to admit that 7 months is really really long period.  My advice - visit your dentist ASAP! 

It is possible.

It is not something that can't happen, on the contrary. Nerve damage is something that is very, very often issue. Just like an Infection after wisdom tooth removal. But generally, you should react on time, because the damage is usually temporary, but it can also last for a few weeks or months. However, it can be permanent as well, in the option when the nerve has been severely damaged, which also can happen. So, no matter what, if you think that the nerve is damaged, you should go to your doctor and tell this to him. That is the only way. 

Celebrity

Nerve damage is something that can happen, and generally, I think that my dentist describes me that a nerve injury classification systems have been described and they are outlined. A first-degree of the injury is called a neurapraxia, and if you are dealing with this, you will recover quickly within days after the injury. But sometimes, it takes more than three months, it all depends on the phase. So, you should not be scared and you should not be wondering what you should do - go to see your dentist and tell him what are your suspicions. He needs to figure out is there a reason to be concerned or not. 

Not rare that this happens.
But it can be healed. That is most important. Now, if your oral surgeon dentist damaged your nerve during a procedure, it means that you should be referred for surgical repair immediately. He needs to do procedure all over again, even if this means that you will have to pay more, but also after the surgery, if the damage does not improve within 6-8 weeks, than you should be really worried. In that case, you should seek out a board certified surgeon who has expertise repairing nerves. Sometimes, this is very complicate and it depends on the damage, how huge it is, what you should do. Or what your dentist should do.

So, a couple of months ago, my dentist also damaged the nerve. I took it really bad, I was depressed because I believed that there is no way out. Of course, he received me immediately, so he checked my tooth very soon. He told me that this is a small nerve damage and that it will go away soon. He prescribed me an painkillers and some other medication - I can't remember which one, and he told me that I need to take one in the morning and anther one before I go to sleep. So, I did it and I have to say that I was skeptical. I am a hypochondriac so I didn't believed him that much, but really, after a couple of days the pain was goon and it was all OK. So, it doesn't have to mean that this damage is the end of the world. It happens.

Celebrity

Totally. It is not something that is rare, opposite. It is often. Age matters as well, if you are younger, you will be recovered sooner than someone who is older. Unfortunately, the birth certificate means a lot even in this case :)

Nerve damage is discussed often in wisdom tooth extraction as well. The trigeminal nerve and the inferior alveolar nerve have the potential to become injured or damaged during the procedure, so I believe that one of those might be damaged in your case. In case if you don't know, these nerves are what controls feeling in the tongue, lower lip. But, it rarely occurs during a routine wisdom tooth extraction.